What I learned from that

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content What I learned from that

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

Some of you may have heard that the Krosno is down. Here is what happened. Friday Andy and I took a winch launch, our second of the day. Everything was normal until the end. We had chosen to practice a slip to land. During the turn from base to final I began the slip, left wing down. I then opened the spoilers to increase the rate of sink. Wham! The canopy slammed open, the steel cable snapped and the plexiglass shattered. WTH? Fortunately Andy was able to pull the canopy closed while I completed a safe landing. Turns out there is a history of this happening in this a similar models. See attached for a more complete description of an almost identical situation.

http://www.37000feet.com/report/1178324/Szd-50-puchacz-glider-canopy-

Don GrilloDon Grillo
        Keymaster

Glad and relieved that both of you are safe.  We all have to be prepared for an unexpected emergency like the two of them encountered.  The first thing, and Steve will tell you, is to fly the airplane. In this case Steve was able to fly while Andy was able to reach for the canopy and close it.  A distraction like that can have grave consequences but the two of them handled it well.  We will get a new canopy, not a problem.
          Don

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
          Participant

Hello:

Somewhere part one of this story is missing. What happened?  Regards,Rich

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
            Participant

It’s on the message forum. Not sure if it went to everyone. 

Steven Snyder224-628-2871
              Rich WalendaRich Walenda
              Participant

Hello:

I just read everything.  I am happy that no one got hurt.  I have a first aid/trauma kit that is ready to be talked about at the next meeting and staged in the hangar. I also have heard suggestions of having some sort of first aid/ready response kit in each club glider which is a good idea.  Each glider can have a scaled down emergency kit which would be helpful in land outs or even an emergency on the far end of the field.  Again, thankfully no one was hurt.

Regards,

Rich

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.