Tuesday anyone

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      John LincolnJohn Lincoln
      Participant

After a poor 4th of July weekend for soaring, Tuesday July 6th is looking better. Not great but not bad. Lift from 2.5 to 3.4 knots. Cu’s from 11:30 to 2:30 with lift lasting until 5. Winds westerly at 10 knots. I have an appointment but I’m still hoping to get out to fly at around 1 PM. Any tow pilots and wing runners out there?  BTW, the 7th and 8th don’t look to promising but the 9th maybe, maybe ok. Time will tell. John Lincoln

Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
        Participant

Is a tow pilot available tomorrow? Let’s get an operation going.

Sent from my iPhone

John ScottJohn Scott
          Participant

I will be out today from 11:30 to 16:00.

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
            Participant

So Tuesday was pretty good. Hot but not horrible. Nice breeze from the West. Nick had two flights in 1-26, I was up in 1-34 and John Lincoln was just short of 4 hours. Always fun to work thermals with other gliders.

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
              Participant

A final comment about the 6th. Hot but not horrible was somewhat accurate. The not horrible part might need a bit of clarification. The wind at 2800 agl averaged 16 knots out of the southwest. The Cu’s were only somewhat reliable, with many not providing any lift that I could find. I did find one thermal that was 3 knots but in 3:56 my average climb for the day (on my Oudie) was 80 fpm. And Oudie said I flew a 21 mile triangle at a whopping 12 mph. All that said it was a very good day to work on your survival (to stay aloft) skills. Steve did a very good job in the 1-34. The next few days don’t look too promising. I hope that that will change. Thanks to John Scott for towing, Steve and Nick and his dad for coming out to run an operation. John Lincoln

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                Participant

I had a question on the Tues…..was the high density altitude for that day (high temp, high humidity) any factor in trying to stay aloft for multiple hours?

For using a hi-perf  Ventus it may not matter?

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                  Participant

I can’t say I notice the density altitude when I’m either cruising or thermaling. I did notice it when I was towed up. John Scott and I were noticeable lower going over the west end of the runway. Even with the west wind at about 10 knots the lift off took longer and we crossed the west end of the field around 150 to 200 feet. On a more normal day the west end crossing is more like 200 to 300 feet agl. John Lincoln

Tim PonsotTim Ponsot
                    Participant

Yeah takeoff and landing at high gross weights is where density altitude can bite you. We used to have a few summer days with the 150 and 182 where we said “thanks but no thanks”

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.