SS Convention and Insurance Status

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content SS Convention and Insurance Status

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant
        Sky Soaring Members,
        I returned from the SSA convention in Reno on Monday. John Lincoln, Kees van de Klippe
        and Geoff Weck were there with me. Lots of fancy gliders to see
        (brand new and restored vintage), equipment, listen to speeches, and talking with friends from other
        clubs. Always interesting and fun. You should come to the next convention!
        The four of us
        mentioned above had an opportunity to spend time talking with Pat Costello our broker for our club’s current insurance policy which is up for renewal at the end of May. The insurance underwriter is AIG. Pat told us that he is “on our side” and will represent Sky Soaring to AIG in the best possible light to continue to
        insure our club.
        Geoff knew that two key AIG representatives would be at the convention this year and that this would be a rare opportunity to talk directly with AIG. Pat Costello quickly coordinated a face-to-face meeting with AIG, Pat and another member of his staff, Geoff, Burt Compton of the Soaring Safety
        Foundation (who has been to our airport and a good friend to Sky Soaring) and myself.
        John, Kees, Geoff and myself spent time gathering the many ways that we
        have made our airport a safer place to fly to present to AIG. Examples like widening the runway, creating a taxiway (alternative runway), mandatory yearly wing runner and
        tow pilot training, mandatory attendance at our spring safety meeting, etc, etc, etc.

We all felt that meeting with AIG went very well. AIG definitely seemed very receptive to our message and asked key questions to understand more. We took turns explaining in detail the different safety changes that we have made over the previous few years.
        Pat and Burt both expressed to AIG their positive comments about Sky Soaring. We all came away feeling
        very good about the prospects of AIG renewing our insurance policy
        . We will know for sure in the coming weeks.

A reminder that on Saturday, March 25th, we will have our annual mandatory Spring Safety Meeting. We talked at length to AIG about this important meeting and that every member is required to attend it before flying Sky Soaring aircraft. Importantly, the Soaring Safety Foundation has agreed to speak at our safety meeting and to perform a Site Survey of our operation on that day.

See you all there!John DeRosaPresidentSky Soaring Board of Directors

Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
        Participant

Thank you! Good news!

Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2023 10:35 PM
          To: petrfolw@comcast.net
          Subject: SS Convention and Insurance Status, By John DeRosa, [Sky Soaring]

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.