Tagged: annual meeting
Sunday, November 4th, 2018 at 2:41 pm #4893John BakerParticipant
Sky Soaring – Meeting Reminders
1. Our Sky Soaring Annual Meeting is in two weeks hangar – Saturday November 17th (and traditional disassembly day after the meeting).
New Location: Gail Borden Library, 270 N. Grove Ave., Elgin, IL 60120
Meeting Room: The “Elgin Room” which is located on the second floor.
Time: Library doors open at 9:00am, we would like to start at 9:15am. (We have the room until 11am)
-In a change from prior years, this will not include breakfast. Mark Mallamo who arranged for this location is looking into being able to bring coffee for our meeting.
– For first timers, traditionally after the Annual meeting we head over to the field to disassemble the gliders and cleanup the hanger. For those who are kind of new to this, please remember to dress for being outdoors with temps in the 30’s in early afternoon.
2. Monday, November 19th – Chicago Land Glider Council (CLGC) – Schaumburg Regional Airport – Basement Conference Room.
Meeting Topic – Parowan Utah
– Preparation and planning of a 1000 km flight
– Weather forecasting and knowledge of local lift lines
– Wildfires in the area trigger TFR’s, how to deal with them
– Description of a long (1045 km) and a fast flight (800 km, 109 mph).
– Oxygen emergency on the 1000k flight and how to deal with it.
– Remarks on other famous nearby soaring sites (Nephi and Ely, NV).
All Sky Soaring Club members belong to CLCG. I have found their meetings to be both interesting and informative. This will be the first 2018-2019 “Off Season/Winter Meeting”.
For new comers the CLGC has monthly meetings November – April and every other year has a “don’t miss” Seminar in February at Elgin Community College. Save the date – the next CGLC Seminar at Elgin Community College will be February 23, 2019.
3. Holiday Dinner at Hawthorn Woods Country Club on Sunday December 9th
Time: 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm (Drinks at 5:00 pm & Dinner at 6:00 pm)
Location: Hawthorn Woods Country Club
Street: 1 Tournament Drive North
City/State/Zip: Hawthorn Woods, IL 60047
Again this year, we will be going to a private country club for the Sky Soaring Holiday Party. The venue for our Holiday Party with be the Hawthorn Woods Country Club which is set in the rolling hills and rich woodlands of Lake County.
Dress is just a wee bit more formal than at the field. The men usually wear ties and jackets (suit or sport coats), the women usually wear dresses or pants suits.
Holiday Dinner: Again this year you do not need to make an entree choice in advance, it will be a buffet. The three entrees will be Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Roulade with this Parmesan cream, Wasabi Pea Crusted Atlantic Salmon with roasted carrot butter and Prime Rib served from a carving station. Attendees can have any combination of the three entrees and does not require picking one in advance. The nice thing is that you can request a small slice of prime rib at the carving station to go with your stuffed chicken or salmon.
Appetizers: Our appetizers will be served in the dining area.
Non-alcoholic beverages are included and you are not limited to one selection (i.e. Soda, Ice Tea or Lemonade with dinner and Hot Tea or Coffee with your desert).
Alcoholic beverages are available in the county club bar (this will be a cash bar).
Holiday Dinner Price: $55 per person (same price as last year). Please give checks to Mike Vaughn.
4. Sky Soaring Annual Chili Cook Off – Tuesday January 1st
Time: 12:00 PM to 05:00 PM. Location: At the field…
Where are we every year on January first around noon? Sky Soaring, enjoying some good hearty chili, camaraderie, story telling, good lies, a couple of busted knuckles on cold aluminum, and a chance to see your Soaring buds. If you’d like to bring your concoction of chili, please do.
If you’ve got another treat, drink, dessert, or something else to pass, bring it out. If you aren’t allowed in or near the kitchen, just bring yourself! Those who haven’t been before, this is always a good time. Dress warm and come hungry! – SSI Board.
5. Classroom Glider Pilot Training Presented by the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) – Saturday and Sunday January 5-6, 2019 – Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic. The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) clinics are open to any glider pilot who is interested in learning more about the art of Soaring.
You do not need to be a flight instructor to attend a SSF – FIRC (Soaring Safety Foundation – Flight Instructor Refresher Clinic).
I took this training over 12 years ago. At the time I was not a Flight Instructor and at break during the first day I asked if I could get the instruction logged in my log book. The instructor said yes, and after passing a test at the end of the second day we also received completion certificates (that you can have out on the table the day you take your checkride). When I took it the training it seemed like 10-20% of those at the training were not CFIG’s.
Make sure you pre-register ahead of time. Additional information and on-line registration may be found at http://www.soaringsafety.org/outreach/FIRC.html
(Two years ago the location was held at the Schaumburg Airport. I am not sure of the location in January)
As always please use decorum and limit Sky Soaring emails to getting operations/work parties organized and general aviation items of interest.
Please remember to send Aircraft Maintenance Squawks and Flight Operation Issues and Concerns directly to the Sky Soaring Board at email address firstname.lastname@example.org (and not to the general discussion Sky Soaring email forum).
Please be very thoughtful when sending emails to Sky Soaring keeping in mind the number of Junior members we now have among our ranks.
As always, emails of a political nature or opinion should not be sent though the Sky Soaring forum.
– Thanks, John
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.