Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 at 12:28 pm #14278
At this point in time Saturday and Sunday are looking like ok days to fly. SkySight shows lift to over 4000 feet agl at up to 3.9 knots. Cloud bases up to 5000 agl, with more cu’s on Saturday than Sunday. It will be cool, low to mid 50’s. The only fly in the ointment is the wind which is forecast to be northwest at 11 to 12 knots on Saturday and west northwest at 9 to 10 knots on Sunday. I’ll follow this and give updates but this could be the last “good” weekend of the year. I’m hoping for one more nice flight before it’s time to put my bird away for the winter, hoping there will be an operation for myself and all who would like to fly. John Lincoln
Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 at 12:49 pm #14279Michael PalmerParticipant
The Palmer’s are hoping to make it a big weekend of flying, Saturday, Sunday, and if some people have the Monday off, that day as well. We will be prepared to fly, wing run, and help where we can.Mike
Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 at 4:14 pm #14282Art SilvermanParticipantI also hope to be out on Saturday. Anyone else? Tow pilots, instructors?
On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 12:50:36 PM CDT, SSI <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 at 4:25 pm #14283
I am available
Sent from my iPhone
Wednesday, October 4th, 2023 at 5:03 pm #14284Petr FolwarcznyParticipant
I will show up as well… PetrSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Thursday, October 5th, 2023 at 12:22 pm #14285
The Thursday update. On Saturday lift is starting out at 3.9 knots but dropping to 2.1 knots as the afternoon wears on. The wind is still 12 knots but is now WNW. Cloud base is now down to 5000′ MSL. It still looks like cu’s most of the day. The high temp is 51 degrees, bring your jacket! SkySight does forecast rain at 4:30 but it will be scattered so maybe it will miss Sky Soaring altogether. I’m looking at maybe some streeting and it still looks like a nice day.
Sunday lift starting at 3.1 knots dropping to 2.3 knots as the day wears on. The wind is down to 6 to 7 knots and is WNW to westerly. No cu’s are in the forecast for Sunday. It will be a bit warmer with a high of 55 degrees. Probably a very nice day for instruction.
Looks like there is enough interest to at least get an operation going. Any more interest? John Lincoln
Thursday, October 5th, 2023 at 1:38 pm #14286
Regardless of soaring conditions it will be a great day for training and one of the few remaining weekends this season. Several members have already confirmed they are planning to fly.
Sent from my iPhone
Thursday, October 5th, 2023 at 4:55 pm #14287Gary PalumboParticipant
I will be out this weekend. GP
Friday, October 6th, 2023 at 10:37 am #14288
Here’s your Friday update from SkySight.
Saturday lift from 3.1 to 3.9 knots going up to 4300 AGL. Cu’s starting around 1:30 with bases around 5700 MSL but falling as the afternoon progresses. Surface winds are up to 13 knots out of the NW. Lift ending between 3 and 5 pm.
Sunday, solid overcast and rain showers. No lift. Wind SW to NW at 3 to 5 knots.
Maybe Monday will be better.
I’ll be out on Saturday no matter what but with the persistent low up in Minnesota this forecast could change again. See you tomorrow. John Lincoln
Saturday, October 7th, 2023 at 7:52 am #14289Rich WalendaParticipant
Today is a possibly challenging training day if the winds pick up.
Today: Sunny, with a high near 56. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
METAR and TAF below.
METAR for:KDPA (Dupage Cnty Arpt, IL, US)
KDPA 071152Z 30010KT 10SM CLR 06/04 A3011 RMK AO2 SLP201 70006 T00610039 10078 20061 51009
TAF for:KDPA (Dupage Cnty Arpt, IL, US) issued at 1120 UTC 07 Oct 2023
KDPA 071120Z 0712/0812 30012G18KT P6SM FEW050 SCT100
- This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Rich Walenda.
Sunday, October 8th, 2023 at 6:21 pm #14291
Sunday, October 8th was a cool but productive day. Despite a late start, we ended up with 14 flights. Several Junior members did multiple dual flights with club CFIs. New member, Mike Palmer was checked out in the club 1-26 and did two flights this afternoon. Nick did the towing today while Gary P., John S., and I provided instruction. Stay tuned for possible Monday (holiday) ops tomorrow.
Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 7:01 am #14292Daniel SpencerParticipant
Is anyone planing on flying today (Monday the 9th) and are any instructors coming out?
Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 8:20 am #14293
Yes to both dj.
Sent from my iPhone
Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 8:30 am #14294Don GrilloKeymaster
Glad to hear their was flying on both Saturday and Sunday and
that their will be an operation today. Unfortunately, I won’t be
able to make it out there today. Be safe operating out of the east
end and know your wind limits.
Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 7:31 pm #14296
We managed to extend the holiday weekend with 11 more flights on Monday. It was a cool and breezy operation from the east end. Junior members with the day off from school received dual flights. Mike Palmer did two more flights in the 1-26 as he works toward his commercial add-on. DJ and I managed to top out at 5300 feet despite a steady wind from the northwest. Thanks to Nick for towing today! All said, we had 38 flights over the three day stretch. Enjoy the remaining days of the season as we are in the final stretch.
Monday, October 9th, 2023 at 7:40 pm #14297
Once is nice, but twice is even nicer
Tomorrow will be a nice day too, will we fly?
On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 07:31:46 PM CDT, SSI <email@example.com> wrote:
Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 at 10:20 am #14309
On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 07:41:46 PM CDT, SSI <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 at 10:37 am #14310any tow pilot today oct 11/23
On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 10:22:37 AM CDT, SSI <email@example.com> wrote:
Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 at 11:00 am #14311
Yes I’m available to tow
Sent from my iPhone
Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 at 11:06 am #14312Don GrilloKeymaster
I’m out of town for 10 days.— Don
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.