Saturday and Sunday 10-7 & 8

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Saturday and Sunday 10-7 & 8

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      John LincolnJohn Lincoln
      Participant

At this point in time Saturday and Sunday are looking like ok days to fly. SkySight shows lift to over 4000 feet agl at up to 3.9 knots. Cloud bases up to 5000 agl, with more cu’s on Saturday than Sunday. It will be cool, low to mid 50’s. The only fly in the ointment is the wind which is forecast to be northwest at 11 to 12 knots on Saturday and west northwest at 9 to 10 knots on Sunday. I’ll follow this and give updates but this could be the last “good” weekend of the year. I’m hoping for one more nice flight before it’s time to put my bird away for the winter, hoping there will be an operation for myself and all who would like to fly. John Lincoln

Michael PalmerMichael Palmer
        Participant

The Palmer’s are hoping to make it a big weekend of flying, Saturday, Sunday, and if some people have the Monday off, that day as well. We will be prepared to fly, wing run, and help where we can.

Mike

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
          Participant
            I also hope to be out on Saturday. Anyone else? Tow pilots, instructors?

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 12:50:36 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
            Participant

I am available

Sent from my iPhone

Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
              Participant

I will show up as well… Petr

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
                John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                Participant

The Thursday update. On Saturday lift is starting out at 3.9 knots but dropping to 2.1 knots as the afternoon wears on. The wind is still 12 knots but is now WNW. Cloud base is now down to 5000′ MSL. It still looks like cu’s most of the day. The high temp is 51 degrees, bring your jacket! SkySight does forecast rain at 4:30 but it will be scattered so maybe it will miss Sky Soaring altogether. I’m looking at maybe some streeting and it still looks like a nice day.

Sunday lift starting at 3.1 knots dropping to 2.3 knots as the day wears on. The wind is down to 6 to 7 knots and is WNW to westerly. No cu’s are in the forecast for Sunday. It will be a bit warmer with a high of 55 degrees. Probably a very nice day for instruction.

Looks like there is enough interest to at least get an operation going. Any more interest? John Lincoln

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                  Participant

Regardless of soaring conditions it will be a great day for training and one of the few remaining weekends this season. Several members have already confirmed they are planning to fly.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Gary PalumboGary Palumbo
                    Participant

I will be out this weekend. GP

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                      Participant

Here’s your Friday update from SkySight.

Saturday lift from 3.1 to 3.9 knots going up to 4300 AGL. Cu’s starting around 1:30 with bases around 5700 MSL but falling as the afternoon progresses. Surface winds are up to 13 knots out of the NW. Lift ending between 3 and 5 pm.

Sunday, solid overcast and rain showers. No lift. Wind SW to NW at 3 to 5 knots.

Maybe Monday will be better.

I’ll be out on Saturday no matter what but with the persistent low up in Minnesota this forecast could change again. See you tomorrow. John Lincoln

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                        Participant

Hello:

Today is a possibly challenging training day if the winds pick up.

Today:  Sunny, with a high near 56. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Sunday:  A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

METAR and TAF below.

Regards,

Rich

METAR for:KDPA (Dupage Cnty Arpt, IL, US)
                          KDPA 071152Z 30010KT 10SM CLR 06/04 A3011 RMK AO2 SLP201 70006 T00610039 10078 20061 51009
                          TAF for:KDPA (Dupage Cnty Arpt, IL, US) issued at 1120 UTC 07 Oct 2023

KDPA 071120Z 0712/0812 30012G18KT P6SM FEW050 SCT100

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Rich WalendaRich Walenda.
                          Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                          Participant

Sunday, October 8th was a cool but productive day.   Despite a late start, we ended up with 14 flights.   Several Junior members did multiple dual flights with club CFIs.   New member, Mike Palmer was checked out in the club 1-26 and did two flights this afternoon.  Nick did the towing today while Gary P., John S., and I provided instruction.  Stay tuned for possible Monday (holiday) ops tomorrow.

Daniel SpencerDaniel Spencer
                            Participant

Is anyone planing on flying today (Monday the 9th) and are any instructors coming out?

Participant

Yes to both dj.

Sent from my iPhone

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                Keymaster

Glad to hear their was flying on both Saturday and Sunday and
                                  that their will be an operation today. Unfortunately, I won’t be
                                  able to make it out there today. Be safe operating out of the east
                                  end and know your wind limits.

Don
                                  Flight Chairman

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                                  Participant

We managed to extend the holiday weekend with 11 more flights on Monday.   It was a cool and breezy operation from the east end.  Junior members with the day off from school received dual flights.  Mike Palmer did two more flights in the 1-26 as he works toward his commercial add-on.  DJ and I managed to top out at 5300 feet despite a steady wind from the northwest.  Thanks to Nick for towing today!  All said, we had 38 flights over the three day stretch.  Enjoy the remaining days of the season as we are in the final stretch.

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                                    Participant

Once is nice, but twice is even nicer

Tomorrow will be a nice day too, will we fly?

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 07:31:46 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Participant

On Monday, October 9, 2023 at 07:41:46 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Participant
                                          any tow pilot today oct 11/23

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 10:22:37 AM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Participant

Yes I’m available to tow

Sent from my iPhone

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                            Keymaster

I’m out of town for 10 days.

— Don
                                          Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.