Runway Regrading Starting MONDAY Oct. 30

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Runway Regrading Starting MONDAY Oct. 30

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      John LincolnJohn Lincoln
      Participant

Members,

Our Runway Regrading project will start this Monday October 30th. Mike Kartowicz estimates it will take 3 or 4 days. The weather looks good with the possible exception on Tuesday with a small (24%) chance of rain or rain/snow mix. Dry weather after that will be good for us for the rest of the week. Rain is back in the long range forecast for Saturday through a fair amount of the next week so hopefully our new grass will get a start before a lot of hard freezing weather sets in.

John DeRosa and Don Grillo have decided that we will NOT, repeat we will NOT, be flying on the field from here on until sometime in the spring when the new grass can handle launches and landings. With any luck that should be around early to mid April.

John Lincoln, Maintenance

John PhelanJohn Phelan
        Participant

Thanks, John L.  Is there anything members can do to help out with the runway project (other than staying out of the way)?

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2023 15:31
          To: phelanjf@gmail.com
          Subject: Runway Regrading Starting MONDAY Oct. 30, By John Lincoln, [Sky Soaring]

Tim PonsotTim Ponsot
          Participant

Hi Folks-

In that case I’m going to come out and relocate the 150 at sunup. Please also make me aware of anything I can do in the coming weeks to help with glider disassembly/grounds maintenance.

I did check the NOTAMS for 55LL and it says nothing of complete runway closure, if this very important safety task has not yet been done would you like me to call and handle this?

Cheers

Tim

James SlocumJames Slocum
            Participant

That shire is a nice 150 Tim. 😘
              Sent from my iPhone

Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster

I just got off the phone with the FAA. They do not file Notams (notices to airman) for private airports so we will be posting two large white X’s at the threshold markings for runway 9–27. This will advise aircraft attempting to land at Sky Soaring that the runway is closed. This is a normal practice for closing runways.

— Don GrilloFlight Chairman
                Don GrilloDon Grillo
                Keymaster

Mike, the farmer started on the runway regrading today, here are some current pictures.

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

— Don
                  Don GrilloDon Grillo
                  Keymaster

— Don
                    ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                    Participant
                      extra wind protection would be nice

On Monday, October 30, 2023 at 05:12:35 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Attachments:

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                      Participant

You are late in harvesting your Corn, Andy.

Better stay up late and get corn, with the full moon we have now for a few nites.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.