Petr Folwarczny

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant

All,

Did you notice in 2019 when all the hangar lights became LED and we could see what we were doing without squinting for a change?  Did you notice in 2020 that the lights in the garage went LED too?

Well, in 2021 more lights have migrated to LED.  Up in the attic it went from sorta’ ok to bright as the out of doors.  Outside the 6 lights surrounding the hangar, which have been broken for YEARS, are working again (maybe a bit of work remaining).

I’d like to commend Petr Folwarczny, our resident professional electrician, for doing all of this volunteer work without asking for anything in return.  What a tremendous gain for the club.

Thanks Petr.  Great stuff!

– John DeRosa

President, Sky Soaring Glider Club

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
        Participant

Thanks also to Petr for Work.

However, John,  I will mention that all this conversion to LED does have its pitfalls to the Aviation band radio communication on the field, especially around the hanger.

This was well-noted in 2020, the hangar lights create much RFI ( interference ) that caused the SSI field radios inoperable until hanger LED lights are shut off.As we electronic engineers (me, EE) realize,  the switching power supply converters used in LED may not be well-shielded enough, and can radiate much electromagnetic interference to AM- modulated radio bands, like VHF Aviation band.These conversions should not affect the SSI WiFi system at 2.4GHz and / or 5.8 GHz 

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
          Participant
            Denny is correct about the “hash” that the LED lights can put out which can interfere with our radios by breaking squelch continuously.  This does not seem to impact our ship’s radios or handhelds if you are a short distance from the hangar.  In my case if I am working on our radios I turn off the LED lights and turn on the large round non-LED lights (on/off breakers in the SE electrical box).
            That being said after the hangar door is open we should make sure to turn off all hangar lights.  It saves energy!
            John H DeRosa(OHM Ω)

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, 8:39:58 AM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.