Paul Letorneau

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      John OsbornJohn Osborn
      Participant

Paul Letorneau, a longtime member of Sky Soaring, recently passed away. Although Paul visited the field infrequently over the past few years, primarily due to health issues, in his younger years he was a valued and very active member of the Club. Paul served on the Board, was responsible for new members orientation, collected dues and supported the Club in many other ways. He and his wife Judy were often at the field, and she occasionally flew with him. Prior to joining Sky Soaring, Paul was a member of Northern Illinois Soaring. When that organization shut down, Paul came to SSI and brought their L-23 with him. The L-23 flew for many years and trained a number of new pilots.  Paul always flew that ship when he was at the field. He was a good friend to those of us who flew with him and will be sorely missed.

There is a condolence card in the lobby on the table. Members are encouraged to sign the card. There will be a service for Paul on October 15 at St. Askar Church, 4801 Springcreek Rd., Rockford, Illinois 61107. Visitation will start at 2:00 p.m. followed by the service at 3:00p.m. A lunch will follow the service.

Donations in Paul’s name can be made to the Natural Land Institute.

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

Paul Letorneau, a longtime member of Sky Soaring, recently passed away. Although Paul visited the field infrequently over the past few years, primarily due to health issues, in his younger years he was a valued and very active member of the Club. Paul served on the Board, was responsible for new members orientation, collected dues and supported the Club in many other ways. He and his wife Judy were often at the field, and she occasionally flew with him. Prior to joining Sky Soaring, Paul was a member of Northern Illinois Soaring. When that organization shut down, Paul came to SSI and brought their L-23 with him. The L-23 flew for many years and trained a number of new pilots. Paul always flew that ship when he was at the field. He was a good friend to those of us who flew with him and will be sorely missed.

There is a condolence card in the lobby on the table. Members are encouraged to sign the card. There will be a service for Paul on October 15 at St. Askar Church, 4801 Springcreek Rd., Rockford, Illinois 61107. Visitation will start at 2:00 p.m. followed by the service at 3:00p.m. A lunch will follow the service.

Donations in Paul’s name can be made to the Natural Land Institute.

Re-posted by Steve Snyder.

Tags:

Notify me of follow-up replies via email

SUBMIT

© 2022 Sky Soaring. Proudly powered by Sydney

Mike HurdMike Hurd
          Participant

Paul was a very nice guy. It’s sad to hear the news. One of the things he did was a monthly newsletter for the club. An actual paper newsletter! This was before membership adopted the use of email or had a website. (I took over the newsletter for him and eventually digitized it and added it to the club’s first website.) He was quite fastidious and detail oriented and took care of that L-23 like it was one of his children. Paul’s passing reminds me that this club exists because of the collective efforts of so many early contributers. And, of course, the tradition of comraderie and love for flying is kept alive by the current contributers and membership. Thank you to all.Mike

John BakerJohn Baker
            Participant

Paul was “Captain” of the L-23 back when a member would take lead responsibility of one of our aircraft. I cannot imagine a Sky Soaring when I joined without Paul and the L-23 he brought with from his old club. Even when “Aircraft Captains” faded away, Paul was still there on assembly day to look after the L-23 and it’s assembly and I always respected that and deferred to him on questions. He was one of those behind the scenes that did a lot for Sky Soaring and will be missed…John Baker

Past President & Past Flight Chair

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2022, at 5:08 PM, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Larry KrengelLarry Krengel
              Participant

I first met Paul Latorneau when SSI went to Northern Illinois Soaring’s little airport north of Rockford (It is a Fleet Farm now).  We brought the tow plane and a couple of gliders for the event and enjoyed the people and the day.  Later Paul and a few NISA members joined SSI along with their L-23.

Paul was a quiet spoken guy but always worth listening to.  He was willing to roll up his sleeves, pitch in and take on a many responsibilities to keep SSI running.  He and wife, Judy, were an important part of Sky Soaring through the years.  They spent many a day sitting out front of the hangar door talking flying.  Sad to hear of an old friend passing on.

Larry

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                Participant
                  September 2017, driving route 20 on my motorcycle, I stopped at the airport 55ll I took a familiarization flight for $ 140 leary gave a speech that I should become a club member and he sent me to Paul who guided me on how to become a club member 
                   nice man.

every pilot flies straight to the haven

Attachments:

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                  Participant

Hello:

I helped Paul with his glider a few times and wing ran for him.  He always was good for a small nice conversation.  I did not get to know him like others did, but from my interactions with him I could tell he was 100 percent a class act and good pilot.  May he have good flights in heaven.

Regards,

Rich

John ScottJohn Scott
                    Participant

Paul was still an active member when I joined in 2014 and I enjoyed being associated with this quiet hard working gentleman.I had the honor to fly with him in the Lark on 18 April 2021 for an Honorary Inactive Member flight. He and I enjoyed our flight together.Whenever an aviator I know passes away regardless of aircraft flown or ratings held, I think of the poem “High Flight”. For Paul over his years of flying experienced and saw things that only an aviator can and mere mortals only dream about.Rest In Peace and God Speed

John M. Scott

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                      Participant

The L23 that has been mentioned above, must have become the club ship involved in an accident on 09-30-2017. That must have broken Paul’s heart to hear-see what happened. I only got to fly the L23 once before that day.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.