Our Friend Ed

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Larry KaseLarry Kase
      Participant

I just got the news that our long time friend and member of SSI, Ed Hoffmann has passed away. A great guy that will be missed.
        A service is expected after the new year.
        Larry

John OsbornJohn Osborn
        Participant

Very sad news. Ed was one of the pillars of the Club. A great pilot, dedicated member of the Club and an all around “good guy”. I always enjoyed his lectures on filling out flight sheets. He will indeed be missed.
          John O

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
          Participant

Ed had welcomed me to the Club, Aug 2017, with “get out there and fly!”, which was nice. To be missed!

Anonymous

Ed was one of the absolute pillars of the club.  He joined about 20 years ago, I think, shortly before I did.  Soon he was club president and the club was involved in a complex lawsuit brought by some misguided members.  He had flown commercial, DC-10, and was an expert glider and tow pilot.  For years he kept the flight sheets honest, a thankless task.

His wife Gerry’s health declined in recent years; I hope she is well cared for.

Larry KrengelLarry Krengel
              Participant

I, too, have good memories of Ed’s time at Sky Soaring. He knew how to
                be a great friend, not just to the club, but to each of us. When the demise
                of Sky Soaring seemed eminent he stepped in as our president and rallied
                the members. He was a unifying force… we needed that. Later he became the
                first self-described COG (crotchety old guy). He not only let us know when
                the flight sheets were not kept well, but also when we were not meeting his
                high standards of airport behavior… and he did it in a way that made us
                feel better about ourselves. He only began limiting his time at the airport
                when his wife of many years needed him. I, for one, greatly enjoyed knowing
                Ed.

Larry
                ————————-

Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
                Participant

I met Ed on my first visit with my son and and a friend to Sky Soaring.
                  My son and friend were there for a glider ride and I was the designated driver.
                  My son was about twelve years old and Ed gave him his first memorable ride and even some stick time. We were told that Ed was the club president at that time and Ed and the club members made for a memorable visit. That experience was the reason I joined the club two years later. I am grateful for his friendship and the many good memories we shared. He was a devoted husband to Geraldine and a man of good character. He was instrumental in shaping not only our club but, as Larry said, doing it in a way that made us all feel better about ourselves. God bless Ed.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                  Keymaster
                    I’d like to share some personal thoughts on Ed Hoffmann. He had a generous and warm spirit and was one of my first friends in the club when I joined 20 years ago. Clearly, he was a key player in shaping the foundations of this community through a rare blend of leadership and service. His sense of humor was always enjoyable. His guidance to the club was always valued. His passing is a real loss for Sky Soaring. His positive influence and legacy will live on.
                    Mike               

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                    Participant

Was there any update to a possible memorial service for Ed in the early part of 2020 ?

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                      Participant
                        John PhelanJohn Phelan
                        Participant

If anyone is planning on attending Ed’s funeral service on Friday morning and wants to get together afterwards for lunch, I’m interested. Mass should end around 11:30am.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                          Keymaster
                            John – Thanks for the heads up. Where and when is the service?

Mike

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                            Participant

http://www.ahlgrimfuneral.com/obituary/edward-hoffmann
                              John H DeRosa(OHM Ω)West Dundee, Illinois, USA
                              mailto:john@derosaweb.com
                              http://derosaweb.net “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” – Albert Einsteinhttp://derosaweb.net/matrix_codes/DeRosaweb_URL_MC.png

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.