Operations for week of 5/11

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Operations for week of 5/11

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

It looks like one of the better days (61 F)  for the coming week – without rain – would be Wednesday.  Any interest in getting up on this day?

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

I will be interested in Wednesday.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
          Participant

I am confused.

Did Skysoaring find a cure for COVID-19 and should we notify the Governor?

It appears that a Private Pilot Glider certificate makes people immune to COVID-19. No other certificate offers that immunity.  Recently, reports have been published from Skysoaring  that dual checkout flights for private pilot glider have occurred.

What happened to:

For the first 2 weeks we are planning on only solo flights.  Social distancing, masks required- no Covid 19.  Bookyourplane required for all flights.

<b>Student Pilots:</b> Student pilots will not be able to fly until we can safely meet CDC and IDPH guidelines for social distancing and offer you instructors willing to fly in close quarters. Post solo students will not be able to fly until a CFI-G can legally endorse you for solo.

How is there a checkout that is solo only?  I am interested in seeing how that works.  Is the instructor on the ground and the checkout done via radio?   Or, is the instructor straddling the outside of the glider to maintain social distancing?  (That one would be even more interesting to watch.)

There is a lot of conflicting information in the discussions.  How is 2 rated private pilots in a glider any different than an instructor and student or certificated pilot pursing an add on rating in a glider?

So, are all operations this week solo only?

Regards,

Rich

*note – per the FAA one is only a student pilot until any certificate is earned.  For example, student pilot then private, recreational or sport pilot single engine land airplane pilot.  Any other rating is an add-on.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
            Keymaster

Rich, I’ll take your comments as jokes…

If you can find an instructor to fly dual with you then go for it.  It is outlined in our covid-19 safety procedures that have been published…Dual Flights: No dual flights except with family members or approved by both parties.”   The dual flights that have been conducted so far have been approved by both parties.  Both pilots are wearing masks and sanitizing before and after flight.  Of course during times when people can maintain more than 6 feet of distance, some are removing their masks. Some are wearing gloves and others are using hand sanitizer or doing both.

So far I don’t believe we have had more than 10-12 people out at the field at one time.

Dual Flights so far have been for either, a solo checkout where pilots only need one or maybe two flights to solo again. Some pilots have been authorized by the Flight Chairman to wave the spring checkout flight and have been able to fly solo either in their own personal glider or a club glider.

I don’t believe any of the instructors have done instructional flights with student pilots.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion.

Stay Safe,

Don

P.S. The Sky Soaring covid-19 safety procedures are not written in stone meaning they can change upon the ever changing environment, with BOD approval.

P.S.S.  Back to the thread topic:  Tuesday is looking like a better soaring day than Wednesday. Blue with lift to 6000.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
              Participant

Hello:

Yes, I learned much from reading Jonathan Swift and watching Saturday Night Live – knowing where and when to use satire to ask questions and/or spark a thoughtful conversation.  (I do have a serious side at work on the street and while flying.) The Gov. has a plan to have restaurants and other things closed until June 28 and that amount of “closed” has many worried about a lot of things – about half our season will be gone.  As you wrote, things can change and most likely will.

I would like to fly but also want all of us to be safe.  Instructors can consider this sentence as an open ad for anyone who wants to fly with me.  I am willing to wear a face mask, gloves, use hand sanitizer and spray my clothes with Lysol.  I draw the line at drinking bleach (more satire).   I can be available to assist on the ground for flight support or even cutting grass.  Is everything aero tow now or is the winch going to be used?

Regards,

Rich

https://imgur.com/a/M4wU6l6

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.