News about Sylvania Soaring, Beloit Wisconsin

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content News about Sylvania Soaring, Beloit Wisconsin

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant

<div>I was just told the following by a pilot flying out of Sylvania Soaring located in Beloit Wisconsin;</div>
        <div></div>
        <div>“Beloit operation will not provide any tows or training this season. They announced this news last Sunday after safety meeting. It is due to commercial operation insurance increase. There were some fatalities last year and they increased premiums 400% or so. They said they might form club but nothing this year.”</div>
        – John DeRosa (OHM)

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

That would explain why Curt Lewis went to Windy City. We may see some interest here as well.

Steve

Anonymous

The NTSB show no such report of any fatalities at 44C also known as Beloit. Only one incident in 2018 a 1972 Piper Lance so Glider nothing with the Op’s shows up.

Greg Palmer

847-922-1234

gregbpalmer@comcast.net

Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster
                Greg – thanks for checking that out. I was wondering about that since we’ve not heard about any fatalities at Beloit.
                Mike Hurd

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
              Participant

I think they were referring to a few accidents that happened at other commercial operations which contributed to a surge in insurance premiums for everyone.  It will be interesting to see if any other commercial sites are impacted and if it will affect tow & rental prices.

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                Participant

Yes, I agree that this is not about accidents at Beloit but the overall accident rate in soaring.  Of the soaring accidents in the last 1-3 years, have more happened at commercial operations?   I think that I will raise this point on the RAS netnews group and see what the pundits say.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.