Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Mandatory Safety Meeting

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Mandatory Safety Meeting
        DATE: Saturday, October 10, 2020
        TIME: 10:00 am

There will be a safety meeting presented by Burt Compton of the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) this coming Saturday to be held at the hangar starting promptly at 10am.

This is a mandatory meeting for all club members.

Sky Soaring Board members should arrive before 9:00am for a board only briefing by the SSF.

The member meeting will consist of a roundtable discussion and members should not be shy about bringing up safety issues they feel should be discussed.  Private discussion with the SSF is encouraged as well.

Topics include:

• Glider accident analysis
        • Preventing aerotow accidents
        • Effective Scenario based training
        • Landing accidents and emergency preparedness training: Is there a link?
        • Sinking airmass and its role in glider accidents
        • Soaring site surveys and accident prevention
        • Detecting and correcting gaps in your club’s flight training program
        • Preventing stall/spin accidents through landing task analysis and recurrent training.

Other topics may be substituted or included at the request of the hosting organization.
        A site survey by the SSF will be conducted in the afternoon and findings discussed after.

Please plan on attending all day.

The Sky Soaring Board

Anonymous

I live in Madison and my employer has a policy that I am not allowed to travel out of state without going into quarantine for 2 weeks after my return.  Unfortunately, attending the meeting would make me unable to do my job and is the reason I have not been to the field the past couple of months.  Is there any way portions of the meeting could be live streamed or otherwise made externally available?  Thanks.

Mark Dunning

Anonymous

yes…I second this request as I will be out of town.  thanks

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
            Participant

I will be there.

John OsbornJohn Osborn
              Participant

I will be there.John Osborn

Laurentiu NicolaeLaurentiu Nicolae
                Participant

I can bring a camera and a microphone and record the meeting for the club if I get the go ahead.

Lawrence

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                  Participant

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) presenter has asked us not to record the presentation.

Everyone’s best option to attend this presentation is to be at the hangar no later than 10AM on Saturday, Oct 10.  The hangar will be cleared of most equipment and we will set up chairs for social distancing.  Be sure to bring your mask.  It should be good weather on Saturday but cool so we will keep the doors closed and run some heaters.  If you can arrive at 9AM to help with set up this will be most helpful.

However, we understand that not everyone will be able to attend in person.  Therefore, we will be providing a Zoom meeting link by Friday afternoon via email.  Keep an eye out for it.  To optimize the Zoom meeting video performance we will be temporarily turning off our Wi-Fi system and our security camera system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

– John DeRosa

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                    Participant

I plan to be there.  Does anyone know if WINGS credit will be allowed for this Safety Mtg?

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                      Participant

Reminder! 2 days until the safety meeting. All members are encouraged to attend and plans are in  the works to Zoom broadcast for those that just cannot be there. Start time is 10:00 AM. There is much to be learned and improvements to be implemented.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.