Maintenance Monday

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Maintenance Monday

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Larry, Gary and I will be out around 10am working in the hanger today, replacing the $450 door hinge and the front strut schrader valve on the Cessna 182 and if we have time, maybe install the ADS-B on the Pawnee.  If any of you retired folk want to come out, there is lots to do. We need to winterize the hanger so we don’t get frozen pipes, bring in the outside hose, clean the dirt off the winch and make room for glider storage.  Don’t forget to bring a lunch and some av-lube 😉

Don

Anonymous

Sorry I can’t make it today. Frank has to work
          Have y’all checked the wet compasses? at least one of them was drasticallly low on fluid and probably just needs a gasket kit from Aircraft Spruce
          It might need to be swung but, thats uncertain
          Have a great day!

Anonymous

Sorry I can’t make it today. Frank has to work
            Have y’all checked the wet compasses? at least one of them was drasticallly low on fluid and probably just needs a gasket kit from Aircraft Spruce
            It might need to be swung but, thats uncertain. A handheld aircraft GPS would be a helpful reference because we rarely use the S33’s beyond 5 0r 10 miles from the airport and don’t have a compass rose
            Have a great day!

Anonymous

Have you all noticed how extremely inconsistent the altimeters are when attempting to set them to indicate field elevation?
                I’ve noticed wild variations of barometric pressure reading vs indicated altitude when setting altimeters on the pumpkin and stars stripes to field elevation.
                How much does calibration at an avionics shop cost??
                Inexperienced nuggets like myself can eyeball somewhat. However; 100 to 300 feet variation from actual altitude MSL can make a world of difference particularly whenever more than two to five miles from the airstrip.
                There’s extremely little margin for error when there’s little to no lift on some days. It’s ok for within 2 to 4 miles away or staying in the pattern. Any other distance is potentially uncomfortable below 3000 AGL

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
              Participant

Glad to help, if there is continued nmefforts Wed or Thurs. I just can’t
                drive out to SSI today.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                Keymaster

WOW!!! What a great turnout we had today.  We got so much accomplished.

I want to thank, John DeRosa and John Osborn for installing the ADS-B on the Pawnee.  It still needs a 30 minute flight so we can run the final checks on it. Hopefully, we’ll get that done before it gets to cold.

Thank you to Gary Palumbo and Larry Case for installing the new door hinge on the C-182. Painting is all that is needed to finish up that project.

Thanks to Andy for working on the Green Golf Cart.  It will be out of commission for a few weeks so plan on using the two white golf carts.

Thanks to Mark, Greg and Alan for winterizing the hanger and doing the other odd jobs that needed doing.

Mark supplied the av-lube and Andy supplied the Polish sausage for a mid afternoon treat.

The word is we are going to try and get an operation going on Wednesday. Stay tuned for that.

Don

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                  Keymaster

Hello Frank,

I am not aware of any of our altimeters being off that much (100-300 feet) when set to barometric pressure.  For our training ships (the 2-33’s), the altimeter is set to field elevation of 900 feet during the before takeoff checklist regardless of what the bp is. We don’t use the barometric pressure that is reported at nearby airports (Dupage or DeKalb in our case).  As you noted, our club ships, with the exception of the PW-5 are for local flights only and we do not fly them cross country.  Flying into different air masses is not a concern for our short local flights.

However, I will make note of your write-up and check the altimeters in both 2-33’s.

Even so, as a glider pilot you will want to develop the skill of flying without the use of an altimeter, and learn to judge your altitude by visual sight only.  As a student, your instructor will, or should, fly a few flights with you without the use of the altimeter.

What instruments are required in a 2-33?  Your 2-33 POH will tell you.

Don
                    Maintenance Committee Chairman
                    CFI-G

Frank Smith wrote;
                    Have you all noticed how extremely inconsistent the altimeters are when attempting to set them to indicate field elevation?
                    I’ve noticed wild variations of barometric pressure reading vs indicated altitude when setting altimeters on the pumpkin and stars stripes to field elevation.
                    How much does calibration at an avionics shop cost??
                    Inexperienced nuggets like myself can eyeball somewhat. However; 100 to 300 feet variation from actual altitude MSL can make a world of difference particularly whenever more than two to five miles from the airstrip.
                    There’s extremely little margin for error when there’s little to no lift on some days. It’s ok for within 2 to 4 miles away or staying in the pattern. Any other distance is potentially uncomfortable below 3000 AGL

Anonymous

Thanks Don

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.