Ground school?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi all,

Last time we were out flying there was some talk about doing a ground school day sometime during the winter.  It seems like it would be a great time to do it if there’s enough interest from students and instructors.

For my part, I’ve been studying for a couple weeks now and think having an in person “class” would be very helpful.    Anyone else?

Laurentiu NicolaeLaurentiu Nicolae
        Participant

I am in.

Lawrence

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019, 20:45 Sky Soaring

Don GrilloDon Grillo
          Keymaster

Good idea Logan. Hopefully, an instructor or two will offer to put together a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly ground school for student pilots. Learning the basics from aero dynamics to chart reading to weather to the FARS is all part of becoming a pilot and working towards your private pilots license. 

— Don 

On Jan 22, 2019, at 19:43, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Anonymous

Hello:
                As an AGI I am willing to help out. Perhaps setting up a Saturday meeting at a library study room will work.
                Regards,Rich

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Anonymous

Hello:
                  Are reply messages being sent out?  I replied 2 days ago stating I am interested in helping run a ground school as an AGI at a local library on a Saturday.  I never saw that email post.
                  Regards,Rich

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                    Keymaster
                      Rich,

The sender doesn’t receive the message through the club channel. 
                      Mike

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                      Participant

Rich, I saw your reply,…..so it is (was) being sent out via email.
                        Denny

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                    Participant

Hi All,

We’re in the process of putting together an organized ground school for this year.  Still some details to be worked out but stay tuned for more information.

If you haven’t purchased or downloaded (for free) the FAA Glider Flying Handbook, it would be a good place to start.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/glider_handbook/

Mark

John PhelanJohn Phelan
                        Participant

Lots of good glider info covered in the CLGC soaring safety seminar on Feb. 23rd at Elgin Community College. Highly recommended for SSI members. It serves as the annual safety meeting for the Club, if I recall correctly.

Always a great time to learn more about soaring and start thinking about the 2019 season. A full day of learning and having fun while we can’t fly.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Anonymous

Rich, I saw your reply too.  I was just slow about writing back.  Sorry about that.  Thanks for offering to help out!

And Mark, that sounds great!  Keep us posted.

Anonymous

Does the club maintain a reference library? I have several books I no longer use and would be happy to contribute.

Jim M

Sent from my iPhone

Viewing 4 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.