Ground Safety Officer Question

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Ground Safety Officer Question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rich WalendaRich Walenda
      Participant

Hello:

Why does the ground safety officer (GSO) require a Private Pilot Glider license?  The sport pilot glider certificate has been around for 13+ years and the PTS is very similar.   Is there a specific reason why a Private Pilot Glider license is required to be GSO?

Regards,

Rich

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

Rich, this was intended to avoid having a student pilot in that position.

Steve

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
          Participant

Hello Steve:

Thanks for your quick and sensible reply.  As a staunch sport pilot advocate I do note that the FAA says a sport pilot certificate is not a student pilot certificate.  I was happy to finally see an article in Soaring magazine regarding the sport pilot certificate this month.

At least everyone knows that the new rules are being read and discussed.  Can a change be made to include sport pilot? That certificate has been around for at least a decade.  (I will leave the topic of ultralight gliders alone since the FARs require no training for them.)

Regards,

Rich

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
            Participant

Rich, this was intended to avoid having a student pilot in that position.

Steve

Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 7:07 PM
              To: Smsrsnyder@comcast.net
              Subject: [Sky Soaring] New topic: General Discussion, Ground Safety Officer Question

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.