Flying Tomorrow, Friday

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Flying Tomorrow, Friday

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      John LincolnJohn Lincoln
      Participant

Friday is forecast to be a pretty good day. Lift up to 4.9 knots. High temps at 84 and wind out of the NNE at 8 knots. Cloud bases around 7500 to 8500 feet msl. Don will be out and can tow. I’ll be out to fly. Any one else interested? This could be one of the best days of the year, who knows? John Lincoln

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
        Participant

I will certainly try to come, help where possible, and hope 2 fly

Jonathan NorberJonathan Norber
          Participant

I would like to restart my training tomorrow (I have not flown since the fall). I can be there in the early afternoon (around from 1 to 4/5, depending on traffic). Will any CFIs be out then?
            -Jonathan Norber

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
            Participant

Hello:What time are you starting? I can assist on the ground and fly.Regards,Rich

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
              Participant

I plan to get to the field around 11 to 11:30 and launch around 1. John Lincoln

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                Keymaster

We’re checking out a new tow pilot in the morning and should be finished by 1030-11am. Tows can start then.

— Don
                  Jonathan NorberJonathan Norber
                  Participant

Unfortunately something came up with my transportation so I won’t be able to make it. Hope everyone enjoys today; can’t wait to fly another day.
                    Also, if anyone who flies regularly at the club (especially CFI-G) is able to email me (yonatanchicago@gmail.com) your cell phone number so that in the future I can communicate for last minute updates, I would greatly appreciate it.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                    Participant

Hello:

Today had 11 flights.  Most flights were 13 to 30 minutes or so.  Don Grillo managed a 1:13 flight in the 1-26!  I have no idea about John Lincoln’s flight since I left before he landed but he definitely stayed aloft for a long, long time.  Brynn and Mike Palmer had some student flights while John Scott, Kees, John Lincoln, Dennis Burke, Don Grillo and John Osborn did their flights.  Gregg and I took up Pumpkin for a short flight before we put everything away for the afternoon.  It is nice to have Pumpkin back but Stars and Stripes also wants to fly! (Also both 1-26’s, Krosno and PW5.)

The weather:

Saturday:  Mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Light south wind becoming south southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.

Sunday:  (Not so great)<b> </b>A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 83. South wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

And, for Jonathan’s question, just call the field at (847) 683-7627 to see if anyone is flying or to just chat about what is going on.

See you tomorrow!

Regards,

Rich

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                      Participant

And thanks to Mark for instructing!

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                        Participant

Nick Legenza gave me a great tow, Thanks Nick. I hope you are able to build some PIC time that is so necessary for you aviation endeavors. Friday had some challenges. I was only able to fly 23 miles in my first hour. It took me 35 minutes and two thermals to finally get up to 6000 msl. After I was finally able to get high things worked out better. I had a nice tour of the country side. Went to Lake Lawn first, then Poplar Grove then Rochelle then back north to Kirkpatrick back south to Aero Lake Estates and finally back to SSI. 191 miles. I was trying to see if I could fly Gold distance which I made. (186.7 miles) My high was 7700 msl and my averager had my thermals at 3 knots. There were a few spots at 8 knots. All in all a nice 4 hour ans eleven minutes. I feel for those who had trouble. I found plenty of 8 knots down and I can easily see why some folks weren’t able to stick today. And the smoke was awful. Most of the time I could only see about 5 miles. I hope it blows away sooner rather than later. Again Congrats to Nick, nice work! John Lincoln

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                          Keymaster

Saturday was a challenging day for Soaring. It was mostly a blue day until around 3 PM when we started to get some cu’s popping. Finally, we had some lift that brought a few of us up to near 7000 feet. It was a hot one but we all stayed well hydrated.Just to change things up a little bit. We also had a car show at the club today.

image0.jpeg

— Don
                            Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
                            Participant

Congratulations John for your gold distance!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
                              Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
                              Participant
                                WOW … Congrats John Lincoln on your Gold distance flight. You are a remarkable soaring/cross country pilot. If you already received my previous msg., it’s because I didn’t see it posted. You’re breaking in ” elf ” very well.
                                greg
                                Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
                                Participant

Anyone have an interest in flying tomorrow 6/27/23?

Sent from my iPhone

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                                  Participant

I will be out to fly with the Palmer family in the morning (6/27). Tentatively planning to fly around 1030.

See you there.

-Mark

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                    Participant
                                  Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.