Flooding May 15 2020

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Flooding May 15 2020

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

With the thunderstorms that passed through last night and with the culvert construction, we have again experienced some major flooding on the field.  I was out this morning and took pictures.  I blame the DOT and the contractors that are working on the project.  We have never had it this bad before, at least while I’ve been a member.

Glider row is pretty much under water and deeper than last week. The water was coming up over the driveway as well.

Once again, please do not drive any vehicles on any wet or soft turf as it will form deep ruts.  More rain is expected on Sunday.  For those of you scheduled to fly this evening or over the weekend, you will need to reschedule for later next week after the ground has dried up.

Private ship owners, please have a look to see how much water your trailer is sitting in.

Here is a link to a google drive with the pictures I took.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1–V-9C1T9AvjkP-B4zhiUvhpu87Q31zy?usp=sharing

Karl LandlKarl Landl
        Participant

Thank you Don for informing us regarding the flooding of the creek. This is the 3rd. time that it happened to me and I am afraid that the trailer’s surge brake system is ruined again. Sediment works itself into the system and probably has to be cleaned out again. Question: Why do some of the private ship owners trailers have to be tied down in that low lying swampy area? We had absolutely no problems when the trailers were tied down opposite the hangar but with the arrival of the winch things changed. I would like to emphasize that I am not anti winch!

Karl

Don GrilloDon Grillo
          Keymaster

Karl wrote:”Why do some of the private ship owners trailers have to be tied down in that low lying swampy area? ”

Karl, good question.  We do have a couple of glider trailers tied down out there that never get opened up and the gliders in them never fly. Those trailers could be parked somewhere else on the field so that they are not in the area that floods the most with the deepest water. The far east side of the field comes to mind, near where the honey bee boxes are. They could be parked side by side and they would be out of the way.  I hate seeing those trailers sitting in water, and you are correct…not good for the trailer wheels and brakes.  Let’s see if we can come up with a solution.

Don

Don GrilloDon Grillo
            Keymaster

we once again have extreme flooding out at Sky Soaring due to the rain on Sunday, May 17,. I am wondering if any of our members have a drone that they could take pictures of the flooding? It would have to be done today when the water is extremely high. I think we should have this footage in the event that Sky Soaring needs to take any type of legal action against the Illinois Department of transportation or the contractors that are working on the culvert. If you have a drone and could come out today as early as possible please let me know.

If you have a drone and could come out today as early as possible please let me know.

Don Grillo

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.