Fleet Disassembly Day NOV 20TH!!

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Fleet Disassembly Day NOV 20TH!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant

Following the Annual Meeting on Nov 20th is also the annual fleet disassembly day.

I ran across something that I wrote years ago about disassembling aircraft.  Enjoy.

==========================

Top 10 Rules Of Aircraft Disassembly

Rule #1 – CRITICAL – ALL REMOVED AIRCRAFT PARTS MUST REMAIN WITH THE AIRCRAFT! NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER put parts on tables, chairs, floors, ceilings, your pocket, your vehicle, your home, drop in the grass, drop in the dirt, swallow, inhale, etc. Aircraft parts have been proven to grow legs and walk away. We might be left with a hole and not know what needs to go into it. This will certainly ruin your day when an important part of the aircraft decides to part company during your next flight. Really.

Rule #2 – It is always best to replace any removed part as close as possible to the place it came from. Nuts, bolts and washers must go into the EXACT in the place they came from. If this isn’t an option for a VERY good reason then place it into a baggie and label it with a) where it came from and b) the aircraft tail number. Place all baggies into the cockpit. Use as many baggies as humanly possible. It doesn’t matter if the part is old and rusty and will be replaced during re-assembly (i.e. cotter pins), we MUST retain the old part to match it accurately.

Rule #3 – Aviation parts often look almost identical to what you might find at the local hardware store. NOPE. THEY … ARE … NOT … THE … SAME…THING. As we half-jokingly say, “There is no aviation aisle in the hardware store.” We must use aviation grade parts from the correct sources. Did you know that bolts can only be of a certain length, not too long and not too short? Some parts are unique to the aircraft, especially those foreign born, and can take MONTHS to replace and are often surprisingly expensive. Thus keeping track of every single part is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL.

Rule #4 – When disassembling over grass, dirt, or sand these surfaces are known EAT AND SWALLOW WHOLE every part you drop. These parts will never be seen again. Guaranteed. So before removing any part always put down a towel, blanket or tarp under the aircraft.

Rule #5 – Inspection plates are “removed” during annuals. Plates are often retained with three screws. Remove ONLY two screws, loosen the third screw, rotate the plate out of the way and then immediately replace the two removed screws into the now empty holes. Rinse and repeat. If you must completely remove the inspection plate then label the tail number on the reverse side and PUT IT IN THE AIRCRAFT.

Rule #6 – If you remove a larger part from an aircraft then attach some “painters” tape and label it with the tail number. Then put it back into the aircraft cockpit. Some larger items which can’t fit in the cockpit (a canopy springs to mind) should be carefully labeled and stored in a nearby location where it will not be damaged. REMEMBER TO LABEL IT!

Rule #7 – Be especially diligent when disassembling a glider during a landout (seemingly always in a muddy field at night in the rain). Promise to carefully follow all of the above rules. Cross your heart.

Rule #8 – If you absolutely must take a part with you and away from the airport – let the key maintenance guru know. Also leave a note in the aircraft with your name, the name of the part, why its being removed, when you did this dastardly deed. A hundred dollar bill left as penitence is a good move. Remember that anything you shout to a bystander as you drive away with the part will be sucked up by a thermal and will only be heard by a passing cloud – and clouds are very forgetful indeed (not to mention vaporous).

Rule #9 – If you are uncomfortable doing something, or simply don’t know how to do it, don’t be afraid to ask. But keep your hands in the game and keep learning! When in doubt refer to your friendly A&P or IA. They know more stuff than you can possibly imagine.

Rule #10 – REFER BACK TO RULE #1!

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

After this Saturday’s meting I would like 5 or 6 members to stay and assist me with disassembly of Stars and Stripes. Student pilots, you need training on this logged in your logbook.

Steve

Brendan StewartBrendan Stewart
          Participant

Count me in!

Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
            Participant
              I can stay
              Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster

Krozno needs to be disassembled as well.

— Don
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.