Do you know your FAR’s?

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Do you know your FAR’s?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Aviation is the most regulated industry in the country. As pilots
        we must follow the rules or we may face fines or revocation of our
        pilot certificate. I had an instructor once who said “Your
        hearing will improve at the hearing,”
        meaning, sitting in on
        a FAA hearing where you are the recipient of that hearing will
        improve your hearing…something you don’t want to experience.

Bottom line, know your FAR’s so you don’t get yourself in
        trouble.  Aviation Students will need to know many of these regs
        as they will be on your knowledge and oral exams.

I have put together a number of FAR’s that relate to glider
        flying. Good study material for all glider pilots.

The pdf file should be attached to this email however, it is also
        available for download in our SSI
        Files/Docs section
        on our skysoaring.com website.

-- 
        Don Grillo (CFI-G)
        Sky Soaring
        Flight Chairman

Attachments:

John PhelanJohn Phelan
        Participant

Thanks for doing this, Don.  It helpful to us old pilots, as well as the new crop of glider pilots we have in the Club.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2022 9:56
          To: phelanjf@gmail.com
          Subject: Do you know your FAR’s?, By Don Grillo, [Sky Soaring]

Anonymous

Last summer, in preparation for my first BFR in almost 2 decades, I sat in on the ground instruction for my kid before her flight lessons. There were definitely a lot of topics that seemed like I was seeing for the first time. That may reflect how the written test has evolved over the time since I took it and not so much changes in the FARs. In any case, this document will be very useful. Thanks.

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
            Participant

On the FARs for us pilots, here is one that probably should be reminded of: 91:159 , A1 & A2, VFR cruise altitudes.  Not sure how our gliders on XC can adhere to the 1000 ft delta while trying to complete a task that crosses any N-S line?

Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster

Hello Denny,

FAR 91.159 has a couple of key words in it that would apply to gliders.  The first is “or while turning.” Gliders, at least here in the midwest, spend much of the time turning  whether thermaling or searching for thermals.  The second key words are “in level cruising flight.” Gliders,  are always either descending or climbing.  There may be an exception if in ridge lift where you might be able to maintain a constant altitude, as the same goes with wave lift.  Cloud streets may also provide level flight.

This is why glider pilots must constantly be looking out for other aircraft. The rule helps glider pilots give them an idea of where oncoming aircraft might be coming from and at what altitudes.

Example; you are flying your glider in a westerly direction and maintaining an altitude between 4500 and 7000 feet MSL (lift band). Oncoming VFR powered aircraft traveling between 0 and 179 degrees magnetic should be at 3500 ft, 5500 or 7500 ft . IFR traffic should be at 5000 ft or 7000 ft. The glider pilot should be very aware and searching the sky for traffic while transiting through those key altitudes.

§ 91.159 VFR cruising altitude or flight level.

Except while holding in a holding pattern of 2 minutes or less, or while turning, each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain the appropriate altitude or flight level prescribed below, unless otherwise authorized by ATC:

(a) When operating below 18,000 feet MSL and –

(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd thousand foot MSL altitude + 500 feet (such as 3,500, 5,500, or 7,500); or

(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any even thousand foot MSL altitude + 500 feet (such as 4,500, 6,500, or 8,500).

(b) When operating above 18,000 feet MSL, maintain the altitude or flight level assigned by ATC.

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                Participant
                  Ok, as you point out Don, i guess those 2 phrases allow for glider flight exemption.Actually, your last 2 paragraphs are the key take-away points. Thanks.
              Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.