Condor Soaring Simulator Survey

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Condor Soaring Simulator Survey

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Hello Sky Soaring members,
        At our August monthly meeting we discussed the use of and purchasing a Condor Soaring simulator for our club. The SSA is offering a $2500 grant to clubs that are willing to invest in this simulator. The cost to Sky Soaring would also be about $2500.

Please take this short survey so that our instructors and Board can evaluate member response.

The survey is located here

Don
        Flight Chair

Don GrilloDon Grillo
        Keymaster

Last Call to fill out the Condor Soaring Simulator survey before I close it out on Wednesday, August 30th. Results will be shared with the BOD.

We want your input as this would be a $2500 investment from the club.

We need 2 instructors to head up and oversee the training program. If you are a CFI-G and willing to invest your time please let me know. This is a requirement from the SSA in order to receive the grant money.

The survey is located here

Don

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
          Participant

<div>I sent my survey reply in, ….hope it was received.</div>
            <div dir=”auto”>I think other SSI members have used Condor with a VR headset, and that option has pitfalls. However, the head-motion detector, plus multi-screens, may be more tolerable.</div>
            <div dir=”auto”></div>
            <div dir=”auto”>As I understand it, with the full VR headset, the user can’t see what controls and/or keypad #’s, nor the Function keys needed to be used during training.</div>

Joseph RicciardiJoseph Ricciardi
            Participant

Don,I built a condor simulator and find it to be an excellent way to teach maneuvers prior to training in an aircraft as well as a way to maintain procedure proficiency. It would be a wise investment for the club…

Joe Ricciardi

Sent from my iPhone

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
              Participant
                CONDOR
                rich daddy children’s toy. after a few uses it will collect dust, better if we save money for batteries for the green golf cart and field repairs, cut trees new sock wind ind,etc and coffee and cakes for members from time to time
                I think we deserved it

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 09:44:26 AM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Participant
                  CONDOR
                  rich daddy children’s toy. after a few uses it will collect dust, better if we save money for batteries for the green golf cart and field repairs, cut trees new sock wind ind,etc and coffee and cakes for members from time to time
                  I think we deserved it

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 09:44:26 AM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Participant
                    test only mail

John PhelanJohn Phelan
                    Participant

Don,

I’d be willing to kick in $100 toward the Sim, if we go in that direction.

John F. Phelan
                      (S20 Mobile)

Participant
                        CONDOR
                        rich daddy children’s toy. after a few uses it
                        will collect dust, better if we save money for batteries for the green
                        golf cart and field repairs, cut trees new sock wind ind,etc and coffee
                        and cakes for members from time to time
                        I think we deserved it

On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 08:31:02 AM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
                        Participant

What is the total cost of the Condor simulator?

Sent from my iPhone

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                          Participant

I sent my survey reply in, hope it was received.

I think other members have used Condor with VR headset, and that option has pitfalls. The head-motion detector, plus multi-screens, may be more tolerable. I understand that with full headset, can’t see what controls and/or keypad #’s needed during training.

Joseph RicciardiJoseph Ricciardi
                            Participant

I could not disagree with you more; simulators are excellent for maintaining procedure proficiency and introducing flight maneuvers to student pilots. If it collects dust it would be due to mismanagement, not lack of value. Extra coffee and cake only adds to your weight and balance difficulties.😂

Sent from my iPhone

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                              Participant

Hello:

It may be a good idea to have the simulator for the club but where will it be kept and used?  The little office is too small and crowded with lots of stuff.  The side “kitchen” area would require the removal of the refrigerators and other items.  The main area by the couch and table has too many people wandering about on weekends.  It really needs its own room that is climate controlled and dust free.  Are training hours able to be logged? Will there be a small fee for repairs of the unit?  Paying for sim time that is not logged is not too appealing for most pilots.  Will it be used in the winter? If the hours are not able to be logged and the training environment is uncomfortable then Andy’s prophecy about it being an under used toy will be correct.

Regards,

Rich

Michael PalmerMichael Palmer
                                Participant

-I think the simulator would definitely be a good training aid for student pilots, especially younger ones. I recognize my bias on this angle, having two kids learning to fly.-I think the simulator would be an excellent tool for the spring recurrent training for ALL pilots, an easy way to make the first couple actual flights more productive, especially with things like simulated rope breaks and other emergencies sometimes too dangerous to do in the actual glider.-On a day like last Sunday, when many people were waiting on the tow plane to either be fixed or go home, a simulator might have made for a productive day for several. The same could happen while waiting for wind to die down, or rain to pass.-It may be a good way to ’test fly’ some different types of gliders, or to learn to fly with mountain wave, or ridge line lift without leaving Illinois.

-Without having used this type of simulator before, I do have hundreds of hours in other simulators and can attest without hesitation that simulator training is valuable beyond measure for at least military and airline flying.

On the flip side…-Rich’s comments about where to put it are difficult to dispute. I don’t know the space available as well as most here, but could loft space be built somewhere?-It is a further burden on some already busy instructors. I would probably back whatever decision they made regarding the investment.-Even at 50% off, $2500 is real money to a small club, and there may be members who have zero desire to use one.

Overall, I am in favor of at least further exploration of getting a simulator, but will back the decision of the board or membership if it comes to a vote.

Mike Palmer

Mike HurdMike Hurd
                                  Participant
                                    I think the simulator is a great idea, but I agree with Rich that some important details need to be worked. I’m sure space for it can be found somewhere on the ground level in the hangar. The loft is an interesting idea, but it might be too hot up there in the summer. It might be ok with some fans circulating the air.Since the club has a renewed focus on safety, the simulator would be a win-win for everyone. It’s a small expense compared to the cost of an insurance incident. I think our instructors could get creative and integrate simulator sessions into their training curriculum. We already have the best instructors in Chicago. A simulator might make their jobs easier. Obviously, I vote yes on the simulator.Mike

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                                    Participant

For concerns and worries, easy contacts for Condor world are SSA’s Don Kroesch at Condortraining@ssa.org…..or SSA’s  Scott Manley at his website:  gliderCFI.com.

They will certainly be able tell you what the expectation can be. (SSI already owns a license for the SW)

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                      Participant

Hello:

I have used simulators at work for years and some are very realistic.  There are also on line decision making “simulators” that can also be educational.

For example:  https://www.policedefense.org/decisionpoints/simulator1/

I also use mannequins with feedback for CPR/AED training and simulated AEDs.  We have training tourniquets and the associated fake arms and legs for Stop the Bleed training.  I know the value of training items.  I also know about storage space, equipment maintenance, proper training facilities, etc.

We just need to do things right.  It may be beneficial for safety but it should not be required for club members to use it to be eligible to fly for the season.  It should also not qualify as a spring checkout.  Simulators can not be used for WINGS flight training.  Some club members also may not fly a video game well but are excellent pilots so no one should be judged about how well they fly a simulator.  A thorough discussion needs to happen and then if we do get the simulator we need to properly support it.  I am willing to give it a try but since I have never “flown” the Condor simulator I do not know how good it would be for me.  I thank the board for allowing each member to be surveyed and for this open discussion.  I applaud Andy for making his unvarnished comment that it can become an unused toy if it is not properly deployed and supported and getting us to really think about how and where it will be ultilized.

Regards,

Rich

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.