2021 Spring Safety Meeting

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content 2021 Spring Safety Meeting

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Hello Sky Soaring Instructors;

I would like to start preparing for the Spring Safety Meeting that will be held in April, the date yet to be decided. The meeting will most likely be held at the hangar (social distancing) and with zoom available for those that absolutely can not make the meeting. Hopefully, John Baker will be able to give WINGS credit as well.

I was thinking that we have each of you give a talk and presentation on a single subject. No more than about a 15 minute talk.  I have posted a number of topics below for your consideration. Pick a topic or name your own.  Please reply here so all instructors get the note. We will plan on having a tv screen and computer hookup if you plan on using a visual presentation.

TOPICS:

1. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling
        2. Preflight Takeoff and Tow
        3. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout
        4. Weather, and how it effects me and my flight
        5. Personal Minimums
        6. Risk Management
        7. Emergency! Fly the aircraft first, Aviate-Navigate-Communicate
        8. Managing unexpected events
        9. WINGS program

Sincerely,
          Don
          Flight Committee Chairman

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
        Participant

I’d like to add a topic idea, between #4 & 8, even tho I cannot instruct. It would be authored by one of our instructors that are SSI accomplished CC flyers, to help those of us lagging that skill.

As a power pilot, I have done many long CC flights SEL, ..the planning, the ADM in flight, risks,  but doing it in a sailplane is still eluding me to this day. Being able to go to a destination, and return safely in these congested airspaces, should hold a place in the learning.  Thanks,  Denny

Don GrilloDon Grillo
          Keymaster

Hi Denny,

We should have a xcountry course
            sometime in early spring for those club members that wish to
            learn the techniques then have them set out on short xcountry
            flights in the PW-5. I’d like to see more club members go for
            their silver badge.

Don

Anonymous

Don-

I would be happy to give a presentation, but will also probably have to resign my Sky Soaring membership in the coming year.  If you would like me to give a presentation, I would probably pick Personal Minimums but am honestly happy to talk on any topic you might need.  I would have to give the presentation remotely, though, as I would not be able to make it to the hangar for the meeting. Take care.

Larry KaseLarry Kase
              Participant

I would like to present topic #3, traffic pattern. 

Kase

Sent from my iPad

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                Keymaster

Update for Safety Meeting Presentations:

DATE: Saturday, April 17, 2021  0900am.

1. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling
                  3. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout – Presented By: Larry Kase, CFI-G
                  5. Personal Minimums – Presented By: Mark Dunning, CFI-G – Remotely via zoom
                  6. Risk Management – Presented By: Austen Mersereau CFI-G
                  9. WINGS program

Big Screen will be available for connecting a laptop via HDMI cable.

Don

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Don GrilloDon Grillo.
                    Don GrilloDon Grillo
                    Keymaster

Update on the Spring Safety Meeting:

The date is TBD, (to be determined)

1. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling – Presented By: Gary Palumbo, CFI-G
                      3. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout – Presented By: Larry Kase, CFI-G

Still looking for some CFI-G’s to pick a topic (or two) for a presentation. 15-20 minute talk/presentation. Or choose your own topic to present. Can be made using zoom if you are not able to present in person.

Thanks,
                      Don
                      Flight Comm Chairman

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                    Keymaster

Hello CFI-G’s

Our Spring Safety Meeting will be held on Saturday morning March 20th, 2021, starting at 0900hrs.

At this time the meeting is planned for both in person at the hangar and online via Zoom. John Baker is working on getting WINGS credit for those attending both in person or online. More on that in the coming weeks.

Below are the topics that you have chosen to speak on. If you attend in person we will have a large screen TV that you can plug a laptop into via HDMI connection (please check your laptop for an HDMI connection.) If presenting via zoom, you will be able to share your screen.

Limit your presentation to 20 minutes maximum. We want to hold the meeting to around 3 hours.

1. Accident Statistics in Soaring – Presented By: Don Grillo, CFI-G
                      2. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling – Presented By: Gary Palumbo, CFI-G
                      3. Preflight Takeoff and Tow – Presented By: Tim Ponsot, CFI-G
                      4. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout – Presented By: Larry Kase, CFI-G
                      7. Emergency! Fly the aircraft first, Aviate-Navigate-Communicate Presented By: Steve Snyder, CFIG
                      8. Taking the next step in my flying career. Presented By: John Baker CFIG – Remotely via zoom.
                      9. The FAA Safety Team  FAASTeam WINGS Program – Presented By: Mark Mallamo – CFI-G

COVID Precautions will be in effect at the hangar. Mask wearing and distancing will be in order.

Glider assembly may take place after the meeting, time and weather permitting.

All members including CFI’s are required to have the SoaringSafety.org Wing Runner course completion certificate for 2021 placed in their folder in the office prior to the flying season.
                      Tow-Pilots are also required to have the completion certificate for the SoaringSafety.org Tow Pilot course

Questions or comments, please contact me.

Stay Safe,

Don Grillo
                      Flight Committee Chairman

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.