URGENT!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

Will someone nearby check the tiedowns on Stars and Stripes please. The wings appear to be untied or loose.

Thank you

Larry KrengelLarry Krengel
        Participant

I’ll head over there now.

Larry

Participant

Thanks Larry

Steve

Larry KrengelLarry Krengel
                Participant

Everything is now tight again. No apparent damage. The 1-26 and 1-34 were tight as a drum. All others were bouncing in the breeze. Pumpkin, Stars and Stripes, and RZ each had one wing completely free. Glad they stayed. I think the 2-33’s stayed because of the tails on the horses and the chain on the nose. Some of you remember Rainbow’s unmanned flight a couple of years ago. Nice we did not have that again.

The gate was open when I arrived. I assumed that was intentional. I left it open.

Larry

Mark ReichMark Reich
                  Participant

On my way..

Mark ReichMark Reich
                      Participant

Thank you Larry, going home.

Anonymous

Anyone up to fly Thursday or Friday?

Anonymous

Unfortunately I’m to far away to voluteer a visit this today.
                      However; has anyone considered the use of plain high strength rope tied with the standard sailors knots used for generations for that purpose? Only brief training is required for those who may be unfamiliar.

Those metal hooks and metal slip fittings are weaker and more subject to fail.

Frank

Anonymous

If you want High Quality tie-down strap sets that are simple to use, industrial strength, lock in place, weather proof and won’t slip, let me know I will sell them discounted to the club for $45.00 per set of 3

Greg Palmer

847-922-1234

gregbpalmer@comcast.net

Attached images:

John PhelanJohn Phelan
                            Participant

You should really take Greg up on his offer. This is a fantastic price on the Big Screw Tie Down set.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                          Participant

FYI for Frank. There are 2 pdf documents in the SSI folder, “Flight &Ground Ops”, on proper tiedown procedure, and how to tie proper knots.

This is in case nobody mentioned it to the newest members, a good review

Anonymous

The Proper tie down knots withstood 70mph force winds for me when I was based in Florida

Participant

On the subject of one wing down, with the 2-33 tail on a stand there would be all of the weight on one side of the fuselage rather than balanced equally. I’m not a fan of that.

Steve

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                      Keymaster

Steve,  having a wing slightly lower (right wing in our
                                        case) keeps the mostly westerly winds from getting underneath the
                                        wing and lifting it. You would not want to have an excessive
                                        amount of wing down as you mention below.

Don

Steve wrote:

On the subject of one wing down, with the 2-33 tail on a stand
                                        there would be all of the weight on one side of the fuselage
                                        rather than balanced equally. I’m not a fan of that.

Steve

Larry KaseLarry Kase
                                        Participant

I also think the probability of aircraft damage would be higher by having a wing lower on the 2-33s. It is a good idea on other gliders.
                                          Kase

Sent from my iPad

Anonymous

As in all groups, Sky Soaring being no different, there will be a small handful of those who can do such things as making a proper knot to secure aircraft. However to protect the clubs aircraft it is necessary to accommodate the lowest common denominator, those who are “knot” capable of making one. I suggest staying with tie-downs that require a minimum level of expertise. Even a cheap Harbor Freight strap will protect better than just one improperly tied knot. All it take is just one loose rope and once again another glider will be lost and destroyed.

Greg Palmer

847-922-1234

gregbpalmer@comcast.net

Karl LandlKarl Landl
                                      Participant

And I always wonder why our club gliders aren’t tied down with the up-wind wing down? In our case the right wing because most all of the strong winds come from a westerly direction. Two weeks ago I did just that in strong conditions.

My 2 cents.

Anonymous

Don Grillo has been teaching us to do precisely that, right wing tied lower!  :>)

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                          Participant

This may be a bit late, and if you use knots and it’s been successful I’m happy to hear it. That said I sail and keep my boat moored on Lake Geneva. I’m sure some boat owners use knots, but I don’t know of any. I use thimble and eye splices. Knots lower the breaking strength of the line they are in (up to 50%) and can come undone. Splices minimally reduce the strength of a line and if done correctly can’t come undone. We have a lot invested in our sailplanes and our tie down equipment should be sized for length and strength for each sailplane. I’m willing to help with this if help is needed when I’m back in town.

John Lincoln

Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
                                              Participant

Hi John,

I would be interested in meeting with you to learn more about the thimble and eye splices. It sounds like something to consider. Greg Tomczyk

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                              Participant

Greg and any others. I use thimble and eye splices but I don’t make them myself. I use braided line and the splices are more than I wish to tackle so I buy pre-spliced line. In the boating industry there are many “generally used sizes” of mooring pendants and I easily find one for my use. That said,  I saw Mark Mallamo giving instruction on making eye splices this last summer in dyneema or spectra line. There are instructions on line for most all types of line. Finally the only difference real between “eye splices” and “thimble splices” is that the thimble splice is an eye splice that is made small and tight enough to hold a metal “thimble” in it. The thimble allows the use of steel connectors with a “soft” line. I am not advocating the use of line over straps, just using something made for and strong enough for our intended use. John Lincoln

Anonymous

Someone contacted me on where I used to get the webbing used for the tow ring straps. Any 1″ climbing rated webbing will do. It’s been a while but I think it was at REI.

Greg Palmer

847-922-1234

gregbpalmer@comcast.net

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.