Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Last Saturday was a challenging day for soaring as it was mostly
      a blue day until later in the day when a few cu’s started to pop.
      Most members that flew early were only able to stay up for about
      20 minutes, including myself. Skysight, (the soaring weather ap)
      said that late afternoon would be the most promising for lift.
      That’s exactly when Mark Mallamo decided to go for his Silver
      Altitude badge requirement.

The SSA Silver Badge requires three achievements. A gain of 1000
      meters (3281 feet) from a low point in your flight. A 5 hour
      duration flight after tow release and a straight distance flight
      of 50 km.  Each task can be different flights.

At 1455 local time Mark strapped on the clubs SGS 1-34R sailplane
      and took a 3000 foot tow. He found a thermal right after tow and
      took it to 5700 feet but that was not enough for a 1000 meter
      climb. Heavy sink had plagued the previous soaring pilots and it
      quickly found Mark as he sunk down to 3000 msl. Not to be worried,
      where there is heavy sink there is big lift nearby. The trick is
      to find it and that’s exactly what Mark did. Mark found a strong
      thermal that lifted him to 7178 feet. That climb nailed his Silver
      Badge Altitude requirement as he had a climb of over 4000 feet.

Mark had brought along the clubs Oudie flight recorder on his
      flight so that he had proof of his climb. After the flight, Mark
      downloaded the file onto his computer at home and verified his
      achievement using a free IGC file reader available online. With
      that, he then filled out the SSA Badge Award Application and sent
      it along with the IGC file to the badge dude at SSA headquarters.

We are proud to report that Mark achieved his Silver Badge
      Altitude and it will be mentioned in the SSA Magazine in the
      September issue. Two more achievements still need to be completed
      before being awarded the Silver Badge, duration and distance.

Congratulations to Mark on his flight!

-- 
      Don Grillo
      Flight Committee Chairman

IGC FIle
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

Way to go, Mark.

Steve Snyder. Sent from my mobile

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
      Participant
      Great job!

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 07:47:55 AM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
      Participant

Thanks Don! This was a surprisingly easy task for the altitude requirement of the Silver Badge which I have done before, but regrettably never took along a flight recorder to capture it. Don took the time to show me how the club’s Oudie flight recorder works (it is pretty simple) and I brought it along on my flight to see what would happen.

I encourage other members to get a tutorial on the Oudie and bring it along on your solo flights if it looks like a promising day. You may be happily surprised!

Next up are the Silver duration and distance flights with are admittedly harder.

-Mark

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant

I think it is GREAT that our club members are thinking about working on their badges past the Bronze. One important comment about using the Sky Soaring Oudie for badge flight recording. It very useful GPS moving map display for flying. Unfortunately, it will not work for application for an SSA/FAI badge such as Silver, Gold and Diamond. You need an FAI approved logger which the Oudie is not.

Here is a list of FAI approved loggers. Kind of pricy. https://wingsandwheels.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Igc+flight+recorder. I use the Nano 3 which is also a navigation device.

I will keep an eye open for a used one.

John H DeRosa

=======================

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 06:54:37 AM MDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Reply To: Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude From Mark Mallamo, [General Discussion Forum]

Thanks Don! This was a surprisingly easy task for the altitude requirement of the Silver Badge which I have done before, but regrettably never took along a flight recorder to capture it. Don took the time to show me how the club’s Oudie flight recorder works (it is pretty simple) and I brought it along on my flight to see what would happen.

I encourage other members to get a tutorial on the Oudie and bring it along on your solo flights if it looks like a promising day. You may be happily surprised!

Next up are the Silver duration and distance flights with are admittedly harder.

-Mark

Unsubscribe from this Topic https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/sky-soaring-member-achieves-silver-altitude/

Attachments Allowed: PDF, msword, All Images. 2mb max.

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant

I might be wrong about needing an IGC approved recorder for a Silver badge work (or gold or diamond for that matter).I am asking the “SSA Badge Dude” for clarification.Thanks,

John H DeRosa(OHM Ω)
      West Dundee, Illinois, USA
      mailto:john@derosaweb.com
      http://derosaweb.net
      “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”– Albert Einstein

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 02:38:45 PM MDT, john@derosaweb.com <john@derosaweb.com> wrote:

I think it is GREAT that our club members are thinking about working on their badges past the Bronze. One important comment about using the Sky Soaring Oudie for badge flight recording. It very useful GPS moving map display for flying. Unfortunately, it will not work for application for an SSA/FAI badge such as Silver, Gold and Diamond. You need an FAI approved logger which the Oudie is not.

Here is a list of FAI approved loggers. Kind of pricy. https://wingsandwheels.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Igc+flight+recorder. I use the Nano 3 which is also a navigation device.

I will keep an eye open for a used one.

John H DeRosa

=======================

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 06:54:37 AM MDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Reply To: Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude From Mark Mallamo, [General Discussion Forum]

-Mark

Unsubscribe from this Topic https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/sky-soaring-member-achieves-silver-altitude/

Karl LandlKarl Landl
      Participant

Darn it: When I did it in the 70s there was no email yet and few heard about it!

Karl

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 03:46:22 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
      Participant

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 03:46:23 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
      Participant

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 04:01:16 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Mike HurdMike Hurd
      Participant

Karl,That’s impressive. I was still focused on college girls in the early 70’s! What year did you first solo and in what type of glider? (I’m assuming it was in Austria.)Mike————————————

Reply To: Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude From Karl Landl, [General Discussion Forum]Darn it: When I did it in the 70s there was no email yet and few heard about it!Karl
      Karl LandlKarl Landl
      Participant

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 04:10:44 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Hi Mike!

No, I never flew in Austria! I started out at Joliet Airport in 1968. Joliet Aviation was a Schweizer Glider dealer at that time. Unfortunately a tornado pretty much wiped out the entire glider fleet in 1969.

My first Solo Flight was on Aug.11th., 1968 in a Schweizer 2-22 at Joliet Airport. My 2nd. Solo Flight was on the same day in a Schweizer 1-26. Earned my Silver Badge #2058 in a K6-CR on July 3rd. 1971 out of Clow Int’l. Earned my Gold Badge #1262 with one Diamond on June 3rd. 1978 in an HP-11A over the CGC field. On that day my altitude gain was 10,100ft. with a cloud base of 11,000ft. This should be an Illinois record but our then IL SSA Governor, Rudi Kunda, for some reason denied my application! I guess for some reason he didn’t like me. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my application!!! About the same time another CGC member was awarded the IL record with a gain of 9,600ft.With the Winter mechanical barograph recording flights were simply easier back then than today’s fancy electronic gadgets! My opinion! Never tried for a 500k flight out of SSI although the few times I flew 300k it could have been done but foolishly I didn’t go for it.Now you know it all,

Karl
      Mike HurdMike Hurd
      Participant
      Michael H has sent you an email via Gmail confidential mode:

This message was sent on Jun 28, 2023 at 4:30:12 PM PDTYou can open it by clicking the link below. This link will only work for skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzs5o0EyMDw5oiQ2MLI4OaEiBlYAEA@gmail.com.
      View the email

Gmail confidential mode gives you more control over the messages you send. The sender may have chosen to set an expiration time, disable printing or forwarding, or track access to this message. Learn more
      Gmail: Email by Google

Use is subject to the Google Privacy Policy

Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USAYou have received this message because someone sent you an email via Gmail confidential mode.

Google logo
      Richard BellRichard Bell
      Participant

6-28-23

Karl,

It is so rewarding for me to see my dear friends, like you and so many others from Sky Soaring doing so well. Keep up the spirit of such a great club. Thanks, Dick Bell.

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
      Participant
      INTERESTING!! It appears this is good for silver and gold badges. I am confirming if the our Oudie will also work.
      John H DeRosa(OHM Ω)
      ========================

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 04:06:45 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Reply To: Sky Soaring Member Achieves Silver Altitude From ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ, [General Discussion Forum]

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 03:46:23 PM CDT, SSI wrote:

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

For what it’s worth, I use SeeYou Navigator on my phone and they accepted the igc file for my Silver altitude 3 weeks ago.

Steve Snyder. Sent from my mobile

Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
      Participant
      Way to go Mark !!! Congratulations
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Restricted content’ is closed to new topics and replies.