2021 Spring Safety Meeting

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content 2021 Spring Safety Meeting

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Fellow Club Members,

February 2 is Groundhog Day and Punxsutawney Phil will make his prediction weather we will have 6 more weeks of winter or an early spring.  No matter, because on Saturday, March 20th at 0900 hours Sky Soaring will be hosting our Spring Safety Meeting.  All members are required to attend in some form or fashion either in person at the hangar (COVID rules apply), or online via zoom. We hope to record the meeting as well for those that have a really good excuse for not attending. Club Policy states you must attend the meeting prior to flying club aircraft.

Also;
        All members are required to complete the SoaringSafety.org Wing Runner Course and print out a copy of your completion certificate for 2021.

Tow Pilots are required to complete both the Wing Runner course and the SoaringSafety.org Tow Pilots Course and print out your completion certificates.

Place your 2021 Course Completion Certificates in your office folder (file cabinet). Do not send them to me.

WINGS Credit;
        We are working on awarding WINGS credit for those attending in person or online. If you have not done so, create an account on faasafety.gov and use the same email address that you use for Sky Soaring.  We must have on file your WINGS email address if different than what you use for Sky Soaring.

Below is a list of topics and presenters;

1. Accident Statistics in Soaring – Presented By: Don Grillo, CFI-G
        2. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling – Presented By: Gary Palumbo, CFI-G
        3. Preflight Takeoff and Tow – Presented By: Tim Ponsot, CFI-G
        4. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout – Presented By: Larry Kase, CFI-G
        5. Personal Minimums – Presented By: Mark Dunning, CFI-G – Remotely via zoom
        6. Risk Management – Presented By: Austen Mersereau CFI-G
        7. Emergency! Fly the aircraft first, Aviate-Navigate-Communicate Presented By: Steve Snyder, CFIG
        8. Taking the next step in my flying career. Presented By: John Baker CFIG – Remotely via zoom.
        9. The FAA Safety Team FAASTeam WINGS Program – Presented By: Mark Mallamo – CFI-G

Time and weather permitting, after the meeting, some glider assembly may occur.

Stay Safe;
        Don Grillo
        Flight Committee Chairman

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
        Participant

A short comment on the SSF’s Wing Runner course i was renewing. I might get beat up on this, but i think one of the Quiz questions is misleading concerning a runway conflict. I probably got it marked wrong, the last time I took the course. Has to do with T.O. Ops ready to launch, and Wing Runner notices a sailplane on BASE LEG for landing.  SSF answer:  TP and sailplane to be moved off runway. This choice seems difficult to perform in the short time (~40  sec) remaining in the landing sequence, ….at least tough for the glider that was ready to depart, and minimal field staff alongside the wing runner. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
          Keymaster

Denny wrote: Wing Runner notices a sailplane on BASE LEG for landing. SSF answer: TP and sailplane to be moved off runway. This choice seems difficult to perform in the short time (~40 sec) remaining in the landing sequence,

Hi Denny,

I noticed that question and answer too.  The towplane can be moved easily by disconnecting from the glider and taxing off to the side of the runway.  Moving the glider off the runway quickly is another matter. In a case like that it may be wise to have the towplane move and ask the pilot/s of the glider to get out of the cockpit and stand clear.  We have encountered this same scenario at Sky Soaring too. It is a bit disconcerting when a landing glider flies directly over the top of a waiting glider on the grid by 20 or 30 feet.  If the landing glider hit a pocket of heavy sink on short final, it’s possible they would not be able to clear the waiting glider.  What is the solution?  One, would be to not move the next glider into takeoff position until all factors are ready ie; glider and its pilots ready, towplane running and ready, wing runner ready, runway clear.
            What do you think?

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
            Participant

This is an interesting problem for SSI. I have been in the glider ready for a tow when a glider landing came in over me. It’s an especially uncomfortable situation. Don’s aforementioned heavy sink scenario is an all to real happenstance. At SSI with the wider taxiway that we should have next spring it should be possible to stage the glider on one side of the runway/taxiway while a landing glider stays on the side NOT occupied by the staged glider. I have seen this done at other locations without problems. We would have to retrain our pilots to the new method but safety would certainly be greatly enhanced.

A different take on this issue at SSI is: Anyone seen landing over a staged glider should receive retraining. At SSI, with a minimum of 2400 feet of runway there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to fly over a staged glider at the end of the runway. The landing pilot must land long. That is the only safe and responsible landing option compared to possibly landing on top of another staged glider. This is an example of “convenience” being put ahead of safety.

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
              Participant

A funny story to add….About six years ago on my Private Pilot checkride, the first landing task the examiner asked for was a accuracy landing (spot landing).  The winds were out of the west and we were landing and departing on Runway 27.   That being the case,  I recall picking a spot close to the runway threshold, thereby avoiding a long golf cart tow back to the launch point for the next flight.  I joined the pattern to land and exactly as discussed today, there was a glider staged at the start of the runway, directly in the center.   I turn on to final and the glider is still there on the runway…decision time.  Considering that I had a designated examiner in the back, I closed the dive brakes, informed the examiner I was aborting the accuracy landing and would land long for safety. Figuring I had made a conservative choice, I assumed the examiner would applaud my aeronautical decision making after we had landed.   WRONG!  I was lambasted for flying over the parked glider (even though I deliberately approached high to avoid it).   Apparently, the correct course of action was to do a “side-step” maneuver, where you maneuver to the side of the runway and then turn back once the obstacle is clear.  Considering I had never seen or heard of that maneuver, let alone practiced for it, I’m still glad I did what I did, despite receiving an earful.   No harm, no foul….gliders were unscathed and I ended up doing an extra flight to complete the accuracy landing task (this time with an open runway).

Let’s do our best to keep the approach end of the runway clear of gliders and by all means, avoid doing the low approach over any gliders, vehicles, or persons on the ground.

-Mark

Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
                Participant

I liked Mark’s funny story. I would probably make the same decision, just inform the examiner that I will choose a different spot for landing. I agree that the question in the test was asked very generally. I already forgot what I answered, but it was right! For our situation in our club, I don’t think we always have enough time and people(!) to move away the planes they are ready  to take off. Sometimes when the planes are ready to take off it takes toooo long for it happen. Less talking and more concentration on the start is also one of the ways to speed up the take off process. If the aircrafts are ready to take off and another glider is on final approach, the landing glider will land so that it has an extra height (altitude) above standing aircrafts and will make a longer landing. I don’t see anything dangerous in that.

Larry MoyLarry Moy
                  Participant

But it sounds like that is the wrong decision according to Mark’s DPE.  Sounds like overflying a staged glider is a no-no.  If landing 27 there are fewer obstacles and people left of the runway so I think the DPE would have preferred a slight jog left then once past the staged glider, realign to 27 and land.  If I’m not understanding that, please let me know.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                    Participant

14 CFR § 91.3 – Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command. › Subpart A – General
                      (a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft. (b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

If someone creates an emergency by being in the way when you are on final to land, you do what you need to do.  If in doubt, see the FAR above.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                      Keymaster

Fellow Members,

A friendly reminder that our mandatory spring safety meeting will be held at the hangar on Saturday, March 20th at 0900 sharp. Please plan on arriving at the hangar at least 15 minutes early.

For those that can absolutely not attend in person, we will stream the meeting on Zoom.

We will have some brief announcements and then get right into our safety talks. The schedule is posted below.  WINGS credit has been applied for and we are waiting final word for acceptance.

Our Topics and Presenters;

1. Accident Statistics in Soaring – Presented By: Don Grillo, CFI-G
                        2. Ground Maneuvering and Glider Handling – Presented By: Gary Palumbo, CFI-G
                        3. Preflight Takeoff and Tow – Presented By: Tim Ponsot, CFI-G
                        4. Traffic Pattern and Landing/Rollout – Presented By: Larry Kase, CFI-G
                        5. Personal Minimums – Presented By: Mark Dunning, CFI-G
                        6. Risk Management – Presented By: Austen Mersereau CFI-G
                        7. Emergency! Fly the aircraft first, Aviate-Navigate-Communicate Presented By: Steve Snyder, CFIG
                        8. Taking the next step in my flying career. Presented By: John Baker – CFIG
                        9. The FAA Safety Team  FAASTeam WINGS Program – Presented By: Mark Mallamo – CFI-G

COVID Precautions will be in effect at the hangar. Mask wearing and distancing will be in order.

Glider assembly may take place after the meeting, time and weather permitting.

All members including CFI’s are required to have the SoaringSafety.org Wing Runner course completion certificate for 2021 placed in their folder in the office prior to the flying season.
                        Tow-Pilots are also required to have the completion certificate for the SoaringSafety.org Tow Pilot course

The first 20 club members that present me with their 2021 Wing Runner Completion Certificate will receive the new Soaring Safety Foundation Wing Runner Badge.
                        Wing Runner Badge

Questions or comments, please contact me.

Don Grillo

Zoom Information;
                        John DeRosa is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: SSI Mandatory Spring Safety Meeting
                        Time: Mar 20, 2021 09:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
                        https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85610556031?pwd=dXNmdHplcHJjcmd6ZU13NnpoRUkydz09

Meeting ID: 856 1055 6031
                        Passcode: 006767
                        One tap mobile
                        +13126266799,,85610556031#,,,,*006767# US (Chicago)
                        +19294362866,,85610556031#,,,,*006767# US (New York)

Dial by your location
                        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
                        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
                        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
                        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
                        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
                        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
                        Meeting ID: 856 1055 6031
                        Passcode: 006767
                        Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcRK0DoewM

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                        Keymaster

Looking for a couple of members that are available this Friday morning around 8:30 – 9:00 to help with organizing the hangar in preparation for the Safety Meeting on Saturday.

Regards,

Don Grillo

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                          Participant

I’ll be out tomorrow.

Jeff MoranJeff Moran
                            Participant

Did I miss the 2021 dues email?  I have not seen a bill via email or snail mail.

Jeff Moran

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 9:32 AM
                              To: jjm17@cornell.edu
                              Subject: 03 / 20 — Sky Soaring, Spring Safety Meeting, 3/20, 9:00 am

Anonymous

I pondered over the same question.

I meant to ask a CFIG about it: if hooked up and ready for departure when a glider is on base, wouldn’t it be advisable to proceed with the tow?

FredThe Fred Show5a-12pKISS FM/WKSC/Chicago
                                Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                                Participant

Thanks Don, for reply.I agree with all of your comments;  and the short-final, heavy sink scenario is definitely not good to have any aircraft in the way & staging. I don’t have a good solution either. TP can drop line and move off quickly…..but poor glider & WR stuck. I can’t remember how Wind City, at Clow 1C5 where I initially trained, handled that.  D.B.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.