Reply To: Constitutional issues

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Constitutional issues Reply To: Constitutional issues

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
Participant
    I will take a bullet on this mistake of mine.
    I must admit, and admitted this to Larry last evening at our board meeting, that I was unaware that the past president was entitled to attend the open board meetings.  In the past I have been lucky enough to be Acting President, Vice President, Secretary and Maintenance Chair of our club, but until this term I have never been president so this never come up before for me.   I will certainly invite Larry to the next board’s monthly open meeting. 
    I
    am a great believer in communicating to the membership about what the
    board is doing.  Thus the reason that I am putting out a monthly
    “Message from the President” and also some one-off emails from time to time.  You can always review the board’s open
    meeting minutes at http://skysoaring.com/ssidownloads/categories/meetingminutes/
    As Larry mentions the Sky Soaring Constitution and By Laws section 2.1 (found at http://skysoaring.com/ssi-constitution-and-bylaws/ [login required]) covers the topic of past presidents activities;
    Section 2.1 – The person who has served as President of the Club immediately prior to an annual meeting of the members of the Club or another meeting of the members called for the purpose of election and who is replaced as President by a vote of the members at that meeting shall become the Immediate Past President of the Club and shall also become an informal, non-voting member of the Board of Directors and entitled to attend meetings of the Board until a new President is elected at a subsequent annual meeting or at another meeting of the members called for the purpose of election.
    I have been a member of several boards of other organizations and know of other boards that friends are part of.  All these boards (commercial, civic, homeowners, private, etc) obviously have routine meetings to discuss matters – some of these board meetings are open and some are closed.  If you would like to attend the next open board meeting simply let me know and I will get you invited but please be aware that you will be in listen only mode as the place for club members to raise questions, make comments, or propose resolutions, is at our monthly membership meetings on the 3rd Saturday of each month.  You may well find that what your board talks about in the open board meetings is a repeat of what’s said at the membership meeting.  As to email communications between board members, these will continue to remain private. 

Thank you.
    John H DeRosa
    President, Sky Soaring Glider Club

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 8:30:15 PM CST, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote: