Reply To: Standardized Training & Syllabus

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Standardized Training & Syllabus Reply To: Standardized Training & Syllabus

Tim PonsotTim Ponsot
Participant

I’d be happy to standardize. The Bob Wander book is a good choice, very comprehensive and goes a long way toward “avoiding gaps in a student’s learning”…something Ron has begged and pleaded with us to address more seriously.

The only downside I see with over reliance on this is a one size fits all approach to flight training. As many of us are aware most, if not all students sail through a lot of concepts only to be tripped up on others.

If we use a more organized and syllabus based system it could help get every CFI on the same page about where a student is at Even more importantly it’s good information for the students themselves, to be shared individually and confidentially of course.

I don’t know if a Chief Instructor would be good or not…our club is very much an egalitarian society. To have one “benevolent dictator” whose opinion matters more than others could do a lot to hurt the individual CFI’s good professional judgment. If a CFI needs to ask permission from top brass about every little thing and can’t be left well enough alone to teach in his or her individual style…I don’t think it will help our training program one bit.

Take my opinion valued at every cent you paid for it but I’d go with a standardized syllabus (which is a fantastic idea Ron has been begging for) and would advocate holding off on the Chief Instructor thing unless there is some huge implementation problem with the syllabus. Then and only then (in my humble opinion) should we talk about more oversight.

Cheers

Tim