Reply To: 15 -19 August

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content 15 -19 August Reply To: 15 -19 August

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
Participant

We had 6 flights today. Thanks to Gary for towing. Petr had 3 flights for a total of 2:16. Dennis Burke and Greg Tomczyk also flew. It wasn’t nearly as good as it looked. The Sky Sight forecast was for 3.3 knots of lift to 4400 agl. My average for the day was 1.2 knots. I did have some lift in the 2.2 knot range and one that got to 4.1, but in general it was weak. Cloud base started at 4000 agl and went down to 3400 by the end of the day. There was a very definite band to stay in earlier in the day. 3500 to 4000 agl was the place to be. Get below that and it took a long time to find a thermal that would lift you back up. Later in the day as cloud base lowered the workable band just seemed to disappear and I worked lift when I found it.  All that said I still enjoyed getting to fly. It’s been a while for me as I’ve been helping Val with her recovery from total knee replacement surgery. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. John Lincoln