Reply To: Sunday 9-19

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Sunday 9-19 Reply To: Sunday 9-19

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
Participant

Denny and those who might be interested. As to avoiding a Paraglider it’s all visual in my case. I grew up and learned to fly without the advantages of transponders, Flarm, or ADS-B. It was and still is for me now see and avoid.

I don’t know but I would doubt that the Paraglider pilot had a transponder or ADS-B. I didn’t see a strobe light. Maybe he had Flarm. But I don’t have Flarm so no help there.

In my experience see-and-avoid has never made any noticeable difference in flying a task. Only a momentary deviation in your current location. Sink on the other hand can and has made large deviations necessary. And of course sink has ended more flights prematurely resulting in land outs than I could ever mention.

One of the interesting observations I made when I spotted the Paraglider was the feeling that he WASN’T moving. I was traveling about 70 to 80 knots and he was probably doing 20 to 30 knots. A closure rate of 50 knots. He seemed to be standing still.

Also I never expected to see a Paraglider. He must have been towed or winched up and then found a thermal.

John Lincoln