Weekday operations

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Weekday operations

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

Early warning alert! Next flyday should be Thursday with good weather through the weekend.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Participant

This week’s schedule: Thursday looks like a soaring day. Friday and Saturday good for training. Sunday too early but promising. I am available. If you want to fly schedule a glider for the time you prefer but be flexible. If there is little or no response I will be inviting some friends out for flights.

Also, help needed Thursday at Noon to load the 2-33 wings onto the trailer.

Participant

Repeat!

Did anyone receives this email? I have seen no reply’s. I can’t find it in my inbox.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
            Participant

Hello:

If my new schedule allows I would like to fly Sunday. I am now occupied looking at the trees budding, flowers blooming, and plywood sprouting up on the stores.
              Regards,
              Rich

Participant

In case you were wondering. Thursday we had 11 flights including 3 long ones from Greg, Geoff and John D. Top of the lift between 7 and 9k.

Friday, 6 flights. Day started out nice, good lift to 7k as forecast then cloudy and cooler. Good to see John W and Gavin back at the field.

Participant

Friday 30 April looks like a good day. Windy in the morning makes a good time for some grounds keeping. Afternoon is for flying. Sign ip now!

Participant

Second notice!

Friday 30 April looks like a good day. Windy in the morning makes a good time for some grounds keeping. Afternoon is for flying. Sign ip now!

Participant

Well, once again the weather guessers got it right. Friday the winds died down by 2:00 PM so Petr and I both took solo flights. Top of the lift somewhere above 6,500 ft.

In the meantime the field is mowed and ready for the weekend. Saturday will be very windy but Sunday looks promising.

Participant

Wednesday is still looking like a good day to fly. Reserve a glider or at least reply that you’re coming out.

Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
                        Participant

Greg t will be out on Wednesday 5/5

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                          Participant

I plan to come out.

John L

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                            Keymaster

Today should prove to be a decent soaring day. A high temp of 61, mostly blue skies with a chance of some fair weather cumulus clouds this afternoon. Light winds out of the NW.  lift is predicted to be between 5-6000 ft

Several private ship owners will assemble and possibly attempt a x-country task.

John Scott to provide the tows.

Participant

Well, that was fun! Total of 15 flights today. 5 long flights, 2 @2.5 hrs, 2 more over 3 and 3.5 hrs and guess who… at 4.5 hrs. so much flying we drained the fuel tank. Good thing a delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Big thanks to John Scott for towing all day.

Next likely day is Friday.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                Keymaster

Springtime usually brings the best soaring weather. The ground is heating after the long cold winter and releasing lots of warmth which turns into strong thermal activity, which we experienced on Wednesday. As mentioned by Steve we had a number of members make some long and high flights.

Three members, Don, John D. and Geoff, in their personal gliders made a nice long x-country trip, first going southwest to Rochelle then north to Beloit, WI and finally back to Sky Soaring. Over 180+ kilometers with average speeds of over 70km per hour. Although, the longest and furthest x-county flight was from our friend at Chicago Glider Club, Herb Killian, with an impressive 420+ kilometer flight.

Friday, May 7, is looking like another decent soaring day. We’ll need a towpilot if one is available.
                                  Please remember to use bookourplane.com to reserve your time slot and glider.

Regards,
                                  Don
                                  F2

Participant

Friday looks to be windy again. If we can get a tow pilot in the morning we should get it some flights before it exceeds maximums.

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
                                    Participant

Per discussion with Steve, I will be on hand at 9am (Friday) to tow.  Need a reliever by 11:15 if folks plan to fly after that.

Participant

Looking ahead to next week Tuesday and Wednesday are looking like good flying days. Stay tuned.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                        Keymaster

Steve is correct in that Tuesday, Wed and Thursday look good.

This week may bring some of the best soaring weather we will see all season. Take a look at Dr. Jacks UniViewer , select NC (North Central) then click on Current Day, +1 or +2  then click through the different Parameters.  You can also look at the NAM (84 hour forecast) or the RAP (12 hour forecast) here. Read the descriptions for an explanation of each graph to know what you are looking at.   If you’ve never used Dr. Jacks soaring forecasts you will have to register on the site first, it’s free.

Calling all towpilots and instructors. We’ll need you this week if you are available. I expect we will have a number of the private ships wanting to do x-country flights and a number of our members wanting to fly. Please use the bookourplane.com to show when you are available.

Best Regards,

Don

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                          Keymaster

Do we have a tow pilot for Tuesday & Wednesday?

Participant

This could be a long report but then you might not read it so Part 1:

Great flying for the last 3 days. Monday Larry and Tim teamed up and did 5 flights with 2 students. Tuesday there were 12 flights with John L leading the way at just under 4 hours and John De at 2.5. Nick the Rising Star flew the 1-26 for 1 hours. Thanks to Don and John S for towing. Lift was reported in excess of 7500 msl. Wednesday more of the same. 8 flights recorded, 5 over 1 hr and the longest at 2:08. Lift was strong as high as 9500 msl. Kevin, Andy and Denny were introduced to landing on 09. Thanks Don for towing.

More to follow.

Participant

Part II. So, who wants to fly Thursday and Friday? Forecasters calling for more of the same. Top of the lift Thursday 6500 ft with light winds and Friday 8000+ with light winds.

Now, to make this happen we need tow pilots both days. Some of you may know that a contingent representing Sky Soaring is going North to Albert Lea MN to fly in the Region 7 contest. This includes 2 of our tow pilots so it sure would be wonderful if there is anyone else available for this rewarding job. Best wishes to our teammates as they take on the challenge of bringing home the trophy(s).

But wait… there’s more!

Participant

Part III. Okay, so not as exciting but there is a club meeting in the hanger on Saturday morning. Just maybe, there will be a chance to get in some flights before the weather changes. After that I can return to my cave and take a break from this crazy typing.

Enough already!

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                                                  Participant

On Wednesday’s ops, there were other good lessons shared at the table….like how to find/identify  a number of Grass Airfields about 55LL that just might be really needed by one of us.

Also, soaring theory was also played out real time in front of us. The big Temp-DP spread helped make a day! And a westward creeping convergence line proved how rough it can get for anyone flying in that airspace, ask Andy&Don.

Later Don taught that the C.L. cold air from Lake M. forced 55LL warmer air up and over….another lift generator!

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                                                    Participant
                                                      <span class="Y2IQFc" lang="en">Dennis you mist  today's soaring day the wind was almost zero thermal
                                                       above 2500 ft no turbulence, you could go to 9500 ft msl. 
                                                      yesterday Steven.S in 1-34 was over 2 hours and 9500ft msl 
                                                      today I beat  lorenc by 500ft. I was at 1-33a,8500ft msl lorenc 
                                                      was in 1-26 8000ft msl today you could fly on barn door to 9000ft</span>
                                                      Participant

Friday starts at 12:00. Not sure about winching. SkySight calling for 9k.

Anonymous

Danke.

On Monday, April 19, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oig5oSQwNjU2MA@gmail.com> wrote:

##- If you want to reply, type it above this line -##

New topic posted by Steven Snyder.
                                                          Title: General Discussion, Weekday operations

Content:

Early warning alert! Next flyday should be Thursday with good weather through the weekend.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Topic Reply URL; https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/weekday-operations-7/#post-10353

To Unsubscribe from this Topic; https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/weekday-operations-7/

To start a New Message Topic visit; http://skysoaring.com/message-forum

Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
                                                          Participant

Is anyone planning on coming out Sunday to fly?

Sent from my iPhone

Participant

I can be out Sunday to fly and help out. 

Sent from my iPhone

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                                              Participant

Hello:If my new schedule allows I would like to fly Sunday.  I am now occupied looking at the trees budding, flowers blooming, and plywood sprouting up on the stores. Regards,

Participant

Weather permitting we should be there.

Steve

From: Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com>
                                                                  Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 7:26 PM
                                                                  To: Smsrsnyder@comcast.net
                                                                  Subject: [Sky Soaring] General Discussion, Reply To: Weekday operations

New reply posted by Rich Walenda. Topic title: Reply To: Weekday operations

Content:

Hello:

If my new schedule allows I would like to fly Sunday. I am now occupied looking at the trees budding, flowers blooming, and plywood sprouting up on the stores.
                                                                  Regards,
                                                                  Rich

Images allowed: You may include an image in an email reply. Filesize limit of 150K.
                                                                  To Unsubscribe from this Topic; https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/weekday-operations-7/
                                                                  Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    The Skew-T app I use (on Android) predicted Thurs would have possible 11k clouds, to the start of the Temp inversion layer.So 9k was the reality!

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                                                    Participant

Hello:Thanks for the update.  I may come out Sunday – working in Chicago tonight.  Hopefully it will be a quiet night…Regards,Rich

Anonymous

I plan on coming out Steve.

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oiQwMTIKfE0MDY1BgA@gmail.com> wrote:

New reply posted by Steven Snyder.
                                                                        Topic title: Reply To: Weekday operations

Content:

Wednesday is still looking like a good day to fly. Reserve a glider or at least reply that you’re coming out.

Images allowed: You may include an image in an email reply. Filesize limit of 150K.
                                                                        Greg TomczykGreg Tomczyk
                                                                        Participant

• #10693
                                                                          Anonymous

Hi SteveI will be out.

John

John Dudlak
                                                                          • #10694
                                                                            Participant

I’ll be out around 3:50

Sent from my iPhone

• #10695
                                                                              Anonymous

I cannot do this Friday, due to multiple hearings.Next week, I can do MWFJW

John N. Walker, Esq.

Waveland Law Group LLC
                                                                                10 South Riverside Plaza
                                                                                Suite 1925
                                                                                Chicago, IL 60606
                                                                                t. (312) 880-7745
                                                                                f. (312) 277-3436
                                                                                john_n_walker@wavelandlaw.com

On Thursday, May 6, 2021, 07:09:12 AM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Content:

Well, that was fun! Total of 15 flights today. 5 long flights, 2 @2.5 hrs, 2 more over 3 and 3.5 hrs and guess who… at 4.5 hrs. so much flying we drained the fuel tank. Good thing a delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Big thanks to John Scott for towing all day.

Next likely day is Friday.

• #10699
                                                                                Mike HurdMike Hurd
                                                                                Participant

Don – In the Book Our Plane app, how does a typical member see if a tow pilot is going to be at the field?

• #10705
                                                                                  Participant

Part II (a)Friday might be a good day to get the winch out.

Steven Snyder224-628-2871

Content:

Part II. So, who wants to fly Thursday and Friday? Forecasters calling for more of the same. Top of the lift Thursday 6500 ft with light winds and Friday 8000+ with light winds.

Now, to make this happen we need tow pilots both days. Some of you may know that a contingent representing Sky Soaring is going North to Albert Lea MN to fly in the Region 7 contest. This includes 2 of our tow pilots so it sure would be wonderful if there is anyone else available for this rewarding job. Best wishes to our teammates as they take on the challenge of bringing home the trophy(s).

But wait… there’s more!

• #10706
                                                                                    Participant

Thursday mowing at 10:30 towing at 2:30

Content:

Part III. Okay, so not as exciting but there is a club meeting in the hanger on Saturday morning. Just maybe, there will be a chance to get in some flights before the weather changes. After that I can return to my cave and take a break from this crazy typing.

Enough already!

• #10707
                                                                                      John OsbornJohn Osborn
                                                                                      Participant

I will be out around 12:00John O

On Friday, May 14, 2021, 07:27:06 AM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Content:

• #10709
                                                                                        Participant

Friday report. 8 flights winch launched. 7 fairly normal. One, however was different. Tim and the PW 5 got away and topped out above 10k.

Content:

• #10717
                                                                                          Participant

Wednesday June 16th is looking good so far. Any interest in flying?

• #10718
                                                                                            Participant

Is there a tow pilot available Wednesday? Sounds great 

Sent from my iPhone

• #10719
                                                                                              Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                                                                              Keymaster

I’m not available to tow on Wednesday. 

— Don 
                                                                                              • #10720
                                                                                                Karl LandlKarl Landl
                                                                                                Participant

Not Aviation related at all!

I came to the field yesterday with the idea to look at my trailer and how safely it is still tied down. To my surprise I noticed that debris like cinder blocks, plywood and sod was dumped right next to my trailer’s front. The pieces of sod came from a newly created trailer tie down area next to mine to the east. Please do not use my tie down area as a dumping ground!

Karl

• #10721
                                                                                                  Jim HopkinsJim Hopkins
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Karl,
                                                                                                    I will move these items away from you trailer.  I relocated my trailer and should have cleaned this up earlier.
                                                                                                    My apology,
                                                                                                    Jim Hopkins
                                                                                                  • #10722
                                                                                                    Participant

Any tow pilots available for Wednesday?

• #10723
                                                                                                      Art SilvermanArt Silverman
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        no need as John Osborn and I moved the debris last Sunday.

—–Original Message—–
                                                                                                        From: Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com>
                                                                                                        To: Arthurttu@aol.com
                                                                                                        Sent: Mon, Jun 14, 2021 10:39 pm
                                                                                                        Subject: [Sky Soaring] General Discussion, Reply To: Weekday operations

• #10725
                                                                                                        Participant

Last call for a towpilot. Have at least 5 interested in flying today.

• #10726
                                                                                                          John OsbornJohn Osborn
                                                                                                          Participant

I will be out today, so 6 interested in flying.John O

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 05:44:41 AM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

• #10740
                                                                                                            Participant

Early Warning! Tuesday looks like a good day to fly. Sign up now!

• #10747
                                                                                                              John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                                                                                              Participant

I am hoping to fly on Tuesday as well. Lift 4 knots to 6K. Surface winds 10 knots out of the west north west. Windy at top of lift 30 knots. Cumulus from 1:30 until 5 ish. Is there a tow pilot, wing runner? John Lincoln

• #10748
                                                                                                                Participant

We have 5 or 6 pilots for Tuesday. Any tow pilot available?

• #10749
                                                                                                                  John ScottJohn Scott
                                                                                                                  Participant

I can be there tomorrow from 11:30 to 16:00 inclusive.

John Scott

• #10750
                                                                                                                    John ScottJohn Scott
                                                                                                                    Participant

I can be there tomorrow from 1130 until 1600.John Scott

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 2:26:44 PM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Viewing 55 reply threads
                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.