The week ahead

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

In case the mails don’t go through this week here is what I see. Monday through Wednesday no soaring but could be good for training. Light winds, possible cloud cover. I am not going to be out Tuesday so let me know if you want an operation those days. Thursday and Friday are calling for high winds again.

Steve

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
        Participant

On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 06:25:43 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Need tow pilot,excellent soaring day, student forecast for Monday

Attachments:

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
          Participant

The attached Skew-T from Andy looks suspicious!……hmm

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
            Participant

Andy, if you can accept “ballast ” on your flight today,  I can volunteer me as a paying ride-along.

Participant

Andy was on the right track but I believe the discrepancy was the temperature and dew point never met. Below is a decent video on how to read the Skew T plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4Dmouqto0

If my attachment comes through it is the Skew T from today’s SkySight forecast.

Happy soaring!

Steve

Sent: Sunday, October 2, 2022 9:41 PM
                To: Smsrsnyder@comcast.net
                Subject: Reply To: The week ahead; By ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ, [Sky Soaring]

Attachments:

Participant

Steve

Sent: Monday, October 3, 2022 2:51 PM
                  Subject: Reply To: The week ahead; By Steven Snyder, [Sky Soaring]

Participant

I will be out on Wednesday and I believe we have a tow pilot. Anyone interested in flying?

Steve

Participant

Thursday will be too windy. Friday and Saturday are looking nice. Lighter winds and higher lift both days.

Steve

Participant

October 10-13. No flying unless the forecast changes. Looks like high winds until Friday.

Stay tuned.

ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                        Participant
                          senior citizen day for gliding is Monday

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 05:38:19 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Attachments:

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                          Participant
                            Columbus Day

Sunny, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming east southeast around 5 mph in the morning.It may be a good senior citizen flying day. Have checkbook – will spend money.Regards,Rich

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Participant

Strange weather forecast for the remainder of this week. NO HIGH WINDS! Not sure how to respond.

No soaring but if you want to fly Thursday through Saturday let’s get something started.

Let me know!

Steve

Participant

Tow pilot needed! Thursday morning for 3 scenic rides. Please let me know so I can schedule with these people.

Steve

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                Keymaster

I can come out. What time? 10 works best for me

— Don
                                  Participant

10 should work. They asked for morning. Need to confirm.

Steve Snyder. Sent from my mobile

Participant

I be out at 9:30 for a 10 am start tomorrow.

Participant

Turned out to be a good day. 3 scenic flights to start the day and put some cash in the till then 4 flights by Jerry INCLUDING HIS FIRST U.S. SOLO! Well done, Jerry. On to working towards your rating.

Steve

PS, Don did the towing plus we rearranged the sardines (gliders) in the hanger.

Participant

I have heard nothing about Friday. Let’s plan on having a good day on Saturday as it may very well be the last weekend of the year.

Anyone out there?

Steve

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                          Participant

Hello:

Saturday:  Sunny, with a high near 63. Calm wind becoming east southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Sunday:  A 20 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62.

I will be out at the field to see if the winds are really calm on Saturday!

Regards,

Rich

John ScottJohn Scott
                                            Participant

I’m returning to Illinois and will be out Saturday.  I see MM signed up to tow.  What is still assembled to fly?  I can also tow. 😎

Participant

We have 270 and Pumpkin available. Mark will tow am if you can take over for pm.

Steve

From: SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com>
                                                Sent: Friday, October 28, 2022 4:53 PM
                                                Subject: Reply To: The week ahead; By John Scott, [Sky Soaring]

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                                Participant

Hello:Pumpkin and one 1-26 are the only ones ready to fly. Regards,Rich

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                                  Keymaster

Tow pilots. Please only put as much fuel in the towplane as you think you will need. We are not sure what day we will stop flying, and we want to have the least amount of fuel in the towplane as possible. This way we won’t have much to siphon out prior to installing the new landing gear bungee cords.

— Don
                                                    Participant

I’ll be out by 9 if anyone wants an early start.

Steve

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
                                                      Participant

I will be there after 10 for my last flight ✈️ of 2022

Sent from my iPhone

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                                        Participant

Hello:

Was a “Saturday wrap-up” sent out? Both the 1-26 and Pumpkin were earning their keep yesterday.  Clear skies, no wind, and some fall scenery to view.  No lift, but that beat the 30 mph winds of the past weekends.

Happy Halloween to all.

Regards,

Rich

Participant

Rich. In addition we had 16 flights. Mostly guest and scenic flights. Even with no lift Greg P and Petr had flights over 45 min.Despite issues with the towplane battery both Mark and John kept the operation running.

A great day indeed.

Participant

The week of November 1-4. Looks like Tuesday and Wednesday may be the nicest weather wise with the wind picking up some Thursday and even higher Friday and Saturday.

If there is any interest speak up so we can make plans.

Steve

Wednesday would work for me.

Kees van de klippe
                                                              Participant

Last call for Wednesday. Only decent day of the week. Only Kees responded so far.

Steve

John ScottJohn Scott
                                                                Participant

I’ll be there. 😎

John M. Scott

Greg PalmerGreg Palmer
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    I may be out too.Greg P

Participant

We have a quorum. I’ll be there around 10.

John ScottJohn Scott
                                                                      Participant

I’ll also be out at 10:00. 🇺🇸

John M. Scott

Participant

The next and possibly last flyable days look to be Sunday and Monday. Any interest? Any towpilots available?

Steve

PS I need to deliver a trailer to the field for CAP on Sunday and hopefully dis-assemble 91S.

• #12924
                                                                          Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                                                          Keymaster

Steve, I should be able to come out on Sunday and Monday. The new battery will need to be installed in the towplane.

— Don
                                                                          • #12926
                                                                            Participant

Looking to start at noon Monday. Have a couple of people interested. Anyone else?

Steve

• #12927
                                                                              James SlocumJames Slocum
                                                                              Participant

Sorry that I missed a lot of the seasons end as I’m now back in Belize. I parked my 1-26 and trailer at Beloit airport in a very nice hangar, winterized our 195 and Waco F2 at Poplar Grove.Can some one look in my locker and see if I left my Dewalt 1/2 inch drive impact wrench and tie down bag? They came up missing, but I’m pretty forgetful with too much going on.Thanks,

Jimbob

Sent from my iPhone

• #12930
                                                                                John ScottJohn Scott
                                                                                Participant

Let’s fly! 😎

John M. Scott

• #12932
                                                                                  Participant

What may very well be the final flying day of the year turned out to be a nice one. Participating in the frigid fun were John S, John B, Mike V, Petr, myself and Greg T serving as ground support. All told, 7 flights led by John S at 50 mins.

See you Saturday for the final meeting of the year.

Steve

• #12933
                                                                                    Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      And don’t forget about Don. He did tow and had one flight on 1-26
                                                                                    • #12934
                                                                                      Participant

Darn. I knew I forgot someone.

• #12937
                                                                                        Participant

JimBob. Yes, they are in your locker.

• #12938
                                                                                          James SlocumJames Slocum
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks so much. I hope everyone has a great off season.

Jimbob

Sent from my iPhone

Viewing 43 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.