Sunday 9-19

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      John LincolnJohn Lincoln
      Participant

The weather looks fairly good for Sunday 9-19. Is there going to be an operation? If so I would like to fly. John Lincoln

Mark MallamoMark Mallamo
        Participant

I can tow and/or instruct tomorrow. Let’s fly!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Don GrilloDon Grillo
          Keymaster

Three should be an operation tomorrow. I’m planning on coming out. We do have a FAST ride at 1030-1100 if we have both an instructor and tow pilot. I can do one or the other.

Don

— Don
            Art SilvermanArt Silverman
            Participant
              —–Original Message—–
              To: Arthurttu@aol.com
              Sent: Sat, Sep 18, 2021 5:15 pm
              Subject: [Sky Soaring] General Discussion, Reply To: Sunday 9-19

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
              Participant

Looks like Sunday was a beautiful day. Can’t wait to hear a recap for the weekend.

Steve

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                Participant

Well fairly good wasn’t a good description. Very good fit better. At least after you got over 4000 AGL. I found a lot of 4 to 8 knot lift above 4k. Below you would be scratching and I did some of that too. I managed to get to Poplar Grove, 12 miles SW of DeKalb, up to Dacy, back to DeKalb and finished back at SSI. 153 miles. Highest I got was 7000 msl. There were 14 flights total. And 5 were scenic rides. So a very good day for SSI in my book. Don and Mark did the towing, John Scott gave some rides. I wasn’t on the ground to see all that went on so this is word of mouth. The only low point was Jimbob had a flat tire on 401 and wasn’t able to get it fixed in time to fly. BTW his 195 is beautiful! I only got to see it in passing but what a stunner. Maybe one day I’ll get a chance to look inside. The next couple of days don’t look very good but Wednesday and Thursday don’t look bad at all. Blue is the only problem with them. Hopefully we’ll be able to get in some more flying before the season ends. John Lincoln

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                  Participant

A few final observations on Sunday that I forgot. I was seeing corn stock leaves at 6000′ msl yesterday. It really gets your attention to see a 2 foot corn leaf go whizzing the canopy just a few feet away. At first I thought it was a hawk but on the next turn in that thermal I saw it was a corn stock leaf. I also saw a Paraglider at about 6000′ just north of DeKalb. He was a couple hundred feet lower than I and headed south. Didn’t see him again after that. Finally I landed over the fans and baskets of the balloon operation. They set up on the runway as per their usual routine. Thankfully they moved their vehicles off to the edge of the runway just before I landed. It wasn’t an issue for me as I just landed long, but after hearing all the discussion about “not landing over gliders staged on the runway” at the meeting it seems like we should inform all of our runway users to avoid staging on the runway if there’s a likelihood that the runway could/will get used while they are staged. The solution is to move the balloon operation to the alfalfa field. BTW this is the third time I have landed when the balloon operation has been either setting up or fully set up but not launched. John Lincoln

Greg PalmerGreg Palmer
                    Participant
                      On Mon, Sep 20, 2021, 11:55 AM Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:
                      John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                      Participant
                        When I flew with Greg Palmer last week we saw some corn leaves around 8000′. Great thermal markers. Amazing that when these leaves exit the rear of the combine during harvest time they can get that high. Talk about a “low save”.
                        I also saw a flock of soaring broad-winged hawks during their migration. I’ve soared with a bald eagle, many solo red-tailed hawks, turkey vultures, some pelicans, and other smaller soaring birds. They are even better thermal markers than corn leaves as the birds sometimes outline the boundaries of the thermal for me. I’d like to find a flock of Sandhill Cranes to soar with. Then again they flock in the 100’s together and have 6 foot wingspans so maybe not a good idea.
                        Inline image

picture of a board-winged hawk
                        John H DeRosa(OHM Ω)

On Monday, September 20, 2021, 10:55:50 AM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                        Participant

On John and Paraglider near KDKB,… its not discussed much at SSI, but for XC members, how are you 2 craft avoiding each other? (besides visual).

Flight plans are not filed, so who knows who is out there, at what altitudes? Does a Paraglider have a strobe-beacon? Or ADS? Does see-and-avoid mess up a Task during a fight in sink, and make one land out?

James SlocumJames Slocum
                          Participant

Any chance I could get one or two folks to help me Wednesday afternoon putting my 1-26 in it’s trailer?

Jimbob

Sent from my iPhone

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                            Participant

I’ll be there.

Steven Snyder224-628-2871
                              Don GrilloDon Grillo
                              Keymaster

I can be there. Let me know the approx time in the afternoon.

— Don
                                James SlocumJames Slocum
                                Participant

I’m going to be there at 2:00 pm

Jimbob
                                  John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                  Participant

Denny and those who might be interested. As to avoiding a Paraglider it’s all visual in my case. I grew up and learned to fly without the advantages of transponders, Flarm, or ADS-B. It was and still is for me now see and avoid.

I don’t know but I would doubt that the Paraglider pilot had a transponder or ADS-B. I didn’t see a strobe light. Maybe he had Flarm. But I don’t have Flarm so no help there.

In my experience see-and-avoid has never made any noticeable difference in flying a task. Only a momentary deviation in your current location. Sink on the other hand can and has made large deviations necessary. And of course sink has ended more flights prematurely resulting in land outs than I could ever mention.

One of the interesting observations I made when I spotted the Paraglider was the feeling that he WASN’T moving. I was traveling about 70 to 80 knots and he was probably doing 20 to 30 knots. A closure rate of 50 knots. He seemed to be standing still.

Also I never expected to see a Paraglider. He must have been towed or winched up and then found a thermal.

John Lincoln

Anonymous

##-If you want to reply, type it above this line-##

New reply posted by John Lincoln.
                                      Topic title: Reply To: Sunday 9-19

Content:

A few final observations on Sunday that I forgot. I was seeing corn stock leaves at 6000′ msl yesterday. It really gets your attention to see a 2 foot corn leaf go whizzing the canopy just a few feet away. At first I thought it was a hawk but on the next turn in that thermal I saw it was a corn stock leaf. I also saw a Paraglider at about 6000′ just north of DeKalb. He was a couple hundred feet lower than I and headed south. Didn’t see him again after that. Finally I landed over the fans and baskets of the balloon operation. They set up on the runway as per their usual routine. Thankfully they moved their vehicles off to the edge of the runway just before I landed. It wasn’t an issue for me as I just landed long, but after hearing all the discussion about “not landing over gliders staged on the runway” at the meeting it seems like we should inform all of our runway users to avoid staging on the runway if there’s a likelihood that the runway could/will get used while they are staged. The solution is to move the balloon operation to the alfalfa field. BTW this is the third time I have landed when the balloon operation has been either setting up or fully set up but not launched. John Lincoln

Images allowed: You may include an image in an email reply. Filesize limit of 150K.
                                      To Unsubscribe from this Topic; https://skysoaring.com/forums/topic/sunday-9-19/
                                      To start a New Message Topic visit; http://skysoaring.com/message-forum
                                      Karl LandlKarl Landl
                                      Participant

Reading John Lincoln’s encounter with corn leaves I did what probably no one else did and that was have a corn leaf wrap itself around the right wing of my HP11-A. It stayed with me for the entire flight but fell off after my landing’s full stop. It was a beautiful October fall day some time in the late 70’s.

Karl Landl

On Saturday, September 25, 2021, 08:41:07 PM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

##-If you want to reply, type it above this line-##

New reply posted by Kevin Sheridan.
                                        Topic title: Reply To: Sunday 9-19

Content:

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.