Spring Chores and Cleanup

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Spring Chores and Cleanup

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Don GrilloDon Grillo
      Keymaster

Hello Sky Soaring Members,

We are all anxious to get in the air as springtime will bring some good soaring weather.  However, the airfield and tiedown area need some prepping prior to flying.

Sunday, March 28 is looking like decent weather although maybe a bit chilly.

Hoping to get a work crew together starting around 9am.

1. Fill the ground hog holes along the north and south side of the runway.
        2. Dig out the glider tiedown stakes
        3. Cleanup the area around the fuel pump
        4. Pickup trash along the creek
        5. Roll the runway, displaced thresholds and tiedown area
        6. Smooth the tire ruts near the entryway
        7. Assemble the Lark

Hope to see you there…

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
        Participant

Many thanks for everyone’s help on Sunday.  We got some of Don’s list completed.

– Gary “Machinist” Palumbo* finished painting the final three coats onto the Pawnee’s fabric repair.  Looks great.

– Steve “Water” Snyder led a team of Mark “Rope” Reich and John “Sailor” Dudlak moving along the creek pulling out logs and trash.  Actually Steve was in the middle of the creek in hip waders.  This should help water flow and prevent any potential flooding.

– Don “Boss” Grillo and Jim “Brush” Hopkins removed brush along the runway.

– The burn pile was “cleaned” of all the metal (please don’t do that) and loaded up with limbs and such.

– Some rodents are on their way to eviction.

– The Lark’s tail dolly wheel was replaced with one that won’t go flat.  But it was too windy to assemble it.

– General clean up.  The trash gondola is full already again and it was just emptied!

Another spring work day is in the offing.  Watch for it.  Volunteerism is part of club life.  We can’t get by without you.

John DeRosa

Sky Soaring President

* Gary “Machinist” Palumbo is also Gary “Instructor” Palumbo and Gary “Tow Pilot” Palumbo.  Many hats worn by this guy!

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
          Participant

I apologize for missing the Day. I intended to apply weed killer to the RW end markers, asap.

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
            Participant
              There should be some grass/weed killer in the hangar and a pump spray can.
              – John DeRosa

On Monday, March 29, 2021, 3:29:54 PM CDT, Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster

I would like to thank the two dedicated volunteers who spent most of Friday working out at SKY SOARING. Andy was hard at work getting our golf carts repaired. And Petr spent the day installing night lights on the outside of the hanger.  Thank you for doing this volunteer work. It is greatly appreciated by all of us.

Don

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                Participant
                  For getting mold off 2-33, is there a particular product to be used, as to not ruin the fabric / aluminum surfaces? Can bring tomorrow if not at Hanger, & is obtainable local.

Larry KaseLarry Kase
                  Participant

The formula for mold removal:1 part water1 part soap

1 part elbow grease

Sent from my iPad

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                    Participant

Any particular type of soap? We have Simple Green on site.

Steve

Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 5:33 PM
                      To: Smsrsnyder@comcast.net
                      Subject: [Sky Soaring] General Discussion, Reply To: Spring Chores and Cleanup

Larry KaseLarry Kase
                      Participant

Simple green or dish soap is fine, but the elbow grease must be aircraft quality, FAA approved.

Sent from my iPad

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                        Keymaster

I purchased the products and they are at the hangar 

— Don 
                          John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                          Participant

Although I am still south in Florida I wish to thank all those who have volunteered to help get things cleaned up and ready for the season. John Lincoln

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                            Participant

A big shout out to those that were at the field on Saturday. In particular I want to thank Kevin, Denny and John for taking on the washing of Stars and Stripes and 1-26. Remember, treat these gliders as they were your own. Would you let your 14 year old fly them?

BE PROUD!

Anonymous

Is anyone going out today?

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oiQwMjC7OaEiBlZAwA@gmail.com> wrote:

Anonymous

Don?

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oiQwMjC7OaEiBlZAwA@gmail.com> wrote:

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                  Keymaster

I may stop out later as I take my first motorcycle ride of the season, but not planning on staying or doing any work. I’m to sore from yesterdays activities.  ;-).  I think being a religious holiday, folks are staying home with family.

Don

Anonymous

Kinda figured same, I mite take a drive out and give that Condor a shot. I wouldn’t stay long either, enjoy your ride. Please text Kevin @ 312 520 1656  on timing.

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oiQwMjS8OaEiBlZAwA@gmail.com> wrote:

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                                      Participant

HAPPY EASTER!

Kevin,

First, thanks for coming out yesterday and being a (new) active volunteer for the club. 

You can always come out to the club at any time, look around, and find something that needs doing or play with Condor.   No one will stand in your way.  Actually we encourage self-motivated activities – it’s the best way to learn flying Gliders. On weekends
                                        during the flying season I always come out one or two days.  No flying?  Come on out anyway.

But today, Easter Sunday, I imagine that the club will be especially quiet. 

There will be a few people out on Tuesday for, at the very least, the Pawnee transponder check scheduled for 1pm.

Best Regards

John DeRosa

Anonymous

Thanks John. Enjoying the weather now,mite do a little fishing before I meet up with some family.

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 Sky Soaring <skysoaring2018+usc_KzU0AAEzg5o0EyMDw5oiQwMjS+OaEiBlZAwA@gmail.com> wrote:

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.