Saturday flying

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
      Participant

Any flying tomorrow and if so what time?

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
        Participant

Hello:

The weather forecast has the best outlook for today and tomorrow.  Are we flying today?

Today:  Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. West wind around 5 mph.

Sunday:  Sunny, with a high near 88. Light south southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning.

Independence Day: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 88. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Regards,

Rich

Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
          Participant

Can we get a tow pilot out today? We have some people looking to fly.

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
            Participant

Midday update:

So far, 3 flights. Not much lift or wind.  Thank you to Mr. Grillo for towing.

A bit of organizing, cleanup and tie down work was done by members Legenza, Lincoln, Hopkins, Osborn, Walenda, and Grillo. (Sorry if I missed someone).

I do not know what the rest of the afternoon will be but the morning was nice.

Regards,

Rich

Don GrilloDon Grillo
              Keymaster

Sunday is looking like a good soaring day. Light winds and lift to 6.  A tow pilot will be available from 11am on.

don

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                Participant

I plan to be out around 11:00. John Lincoln

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                  Participant

Hello:

Any interest for MONDAY morning?  Mike Vaughn and I are interested if we have a Monday tow pilot.

Regards,

Rich

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                    Participant

A comment on Sunday. Nick and John Osborn had nice flights. Greg Tomczyk flew too and maybe some others. I don’t know because I was flying. It turned out to be quite nice. From 12:45 till about 4 the lift was 2 to 4 knots. The clouds were ok indicators. After 4 it got quite a bit better lift 4 to 8 knots. The top for me was 6900 which was cloud base. Lots of heavies and many down low. I saw one at 3500 AGL and several at 4000 to 4500 AGL. Kept my eyes peeled. There was one cloud street in particular I remember that went from Huntly H.S. to Lake Geneva. I flew on it without making a single turn at 5300 AGL the whole way (28 miles). I visited Darian, Aero Lake, Lake Geneva and Sycamore among other spots. Total distance flown was 205 miles. I was up for 6:17. Thanks to Nick for running my wing, a good job and to Don Grillo for a good tow as well. And thanks to Greg Tomczyk and the other member whose name I can’t remember for waiting for me to land. That was very nice as well. John Lincoln

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                      Participant

Hello:

John: Thanks for the update.  Yesterday Kevin and I took up Pumpkin for 58 minutes and made it 5,000′  feet on the altimeter.  Not bad for a 2-33 with 2 on board.  I need you to fly with me and help me learn where the real lift is.

No flying today (Monday) due to winds.  We entertained ourselves with the grill and some FAR/AIM reading at the field.  Not a bad day at SSI.  Thank you to all who showed with intentions to fly but still made it a nice time. Happy 4th of July to all!

Regards,

Rich

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                        Participant

Rich,

58 minutes and 5000 msl in a 2-33 is quite respectable. I would say you aren’t having any trouble finding where the “real” lift is at. Of course getting from one thermal to the next in a 2-33, …. now that may pose a bigger problem. John Lincoln

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                          Participant

John:

Thanks for the reply.   Kevin and I did look for lift and conflicting traffic as a team.  I really want to move to the next level of flying on the trips that you guys write about.  I know that I need to move out of the 2-33’s and the 1-26 to the PW5.  I am looking forward to advice from the “Pros” at the field.  I also would like to see more members sharing flights so everyone flies and gets to learn from each other.

Regards,

Rich

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                            Participant

Rich, The PW-5 is a great cross country starter ship. It thermals quite nicely, benign stall and easy to land with great spoilers. At 32:1 it has the legs to get out a ways and still get back. It’s only drawback might be its weight which is on the light side and that will affect penetration into a head wind. So to practice don’t pick a day with winds aloft that exceed 10 to 12 knots, and if you do then fly up wind first. The performance means that you should easily get back from say Aero Lake or Dacy from 4500 msl. The next time you happen to be at 4500 msl look for those places and it will give you a feel for just how flat the newer ships fly. John L

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                              Keymaster

I can’t make it in but hopefully a tow pilot will be able to come out to the field. It’s freshly mowed and ready for some takeoffs and landings.

— Don
                                William RobertsonWilliam Robertson
                                Participant

Just got here and opened up. Waiting for a tow pilot/CFIG.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2022, at 9:34 PM, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:
                                  Rich WalendaRich Walenda
                                  Participant

Hello:People (licensed pilots) are at the field but we need a tow pilot. Regards,

Rich

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                    Keymaster

On the way

— Don
                                      John OsbornJohn Osborn
                                      Participant

I will be out to fly on Sunday.John O

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 05:56:07 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                        Keymaster

Beautiful sunny soaring day. Could use a tow pilot or instructor today

— Don
                                      Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.