Ops on Fri/Sat?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Can we get something up in the air on Friday or Saturday?  Somewhat sunny on Friday… cloudy Saturday.

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
        Participant

I will be out on Saturday. 

Steven Snyder224-628-2871
          Anonymous
            tow pilot?

Nicholas LegenzaNicholas Legenza
            Participant

I’ll be out on Saturday for a couple of flights if we can get those in

Sent from my iPhone

Rich WalendaRich Walenda
              Participant

Hello:

The forecast for Saturday is:  A 20 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.

If possible, I would like to take one solo and one dual flight Saturday morning.  I appears that reservations are not being made on BookOurPlane so I can not gauge the interest of potential flying.  I see a CFI and some others wanting to fly.  Can we get a tow pilot?

Thanks.

Regards,

Rich

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                Participant

I would like to fly on Friday if we can get a tow pilot and wing runner. Also I put some orange cones 30 feet north of the north side of our runway to mark how far a ship should be off the runway. I will remove them tomorrow. John Lincoln

Erik SchnaubeltErik Schnaubelt
                  Participant

Sky Soarings very own CFI/CFII is pack in town! I’ll be out tomorrow to tow starting at 10👍

-Erik Schnaubelt

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
                    Participant
                      John L – Additional cones seems like a good idea to delineate our safety boundaries.  Why are you thinking of removing them?
                      John H DeRosa
                      Larry MoyLarry Moy
                      Participant

Thanks Erik for offering to tow on Friday.  Do we have a CFI for some dual time?  I’m 190 lbs so I think the CFI needs to be 180 or less.

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                        Participant

Friday was nice. 2 to 5 knot lift under cumulus up to 6500 msl. Flights in Stars and Stripes. Thanks to Erik and Austen for towing, Andy for wing running. Good soaring from Harvard down to DeKalb. Thanks to Erik for the help in derigging.

Erik SchnaubeltErik Schnaubelt
                          Participant

I got up to 7000 AGL. With a standard lapse rate that makes it something like 20 degrees? BURR!

I was in a thermal north of the field yesterday at about 4000ft and I noticed a corn husk! I looked upwind about 3 miles and noticed a field being harvested!

So then it became a competition. Who could thermal better? the corn husk or the 1-26. To my surprise the 1-26 can out climb a corn husk.

Thanks to all who came out and congratulations to Nick on his first solo today!

Erik Schnaubelt

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                            Keymaster

Ahah! Erik, you’re account is awesome.

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                              Keymaster

If anybody can out thermal a corn husk it would be Erik.  It’s time to Erik into a soaring contest. 

— Don 
                                John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                Participant

To be sure corn husks can be hard to beat, but Erik did it. I saw a couple up around 4500 agl but didn’t think of trying to out climb them. I have old-guyitis and looked upon them as semisolid objects that I wanted to avoid. Congratulations Erik for out-thermaling our local silage. John L

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.