Dusk Patrol Monday

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Dusk Patrol Monday

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

I’m calling Dusk Patrol on Monday. Should be the best day of the weekdays as long as you Sunday flyers don’t use up all of the thermals. Start time 2:00PM through Happy Hour!

Who’s in???

Steve

John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
        Participant

I plan on being there.

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
          Participant

Hope everyone enjoyed today. Expecting a full report . Now for Monday still looking for a towpilot and/or winch crew for afternoon and evening operations. Lets do this!

Don GrilloDon Grillo
            Keymaster

Sunday was a good and challenging soaring day.  We had a total of 26 flights with several pilots staying up over an hour and reaching altitudes over 6000 feet with climbs reported over 6 knots.  Windsheer at about 100 feet agl on the east end of the field kept tow pilots and glider pilots using all their skills and training as they transitioned through that turbulent area. With winds out of the north, most tows were released north of the field. The ballons guys came out and launched at about 6:45. A very nice day.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Don GrilloDon Grillo.
                Tim PonsotTim Ponsot
                Participant

I’ll be around to winch/fly until it’s time to inflate the balloons

Sent from my iPhone

Larry KaseLarry Kase
                    Participant

With light winds out of the east, it looks like a good day for long-line winching.
                      Larry

Sent from my iPad

Anonymous
                            Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                            Participant

Quite a history of the CG-5, how fast they were designed and built…..nary
                              a one left

Larry KrengelLarry Krengel
                                Participant

A number of these combat gliders were built by Ford in Iron Mountain, MI. There is a museum there.

http://menomineemuseum.com/glider.htm

Larry

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                  Keymaster
                                    A long tow across the English Channel in total darkness must have been a challenging experience. I wonder how they managed it.

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
                                    Participant

I hope the trim on those gliders was better than the trim on our 2-33s

—–Original Message—–
                                      From: Sky Soaring <webmaster@skysoaring.com>
                                      To: Arthurttu

Anonymous

I would love to see what it was like to fly one of these.

Its a shame there are so few left. Seeing one of these restored and
                                        demonstrated at a warbirds event of some kind would be a fascinating look
                                        at an extremely important part of WWII operations that most people probably
                                        never knew existed.

Larry KaseLarry Kase
                                Participant

12 flights today for the dusk patrol. 4 aerotows and 8 winch tows with the long line. Winch release altitude up to 2900msl !! Not too bad for $10. Winch operators Ponsot/Barry. CFIGs Grillo, Snyder,Kase. Other flyers Derosa Karl and Erik. We shut down at 7.
                                  Larry

Sent from my iPad

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.