Driveway/ runway marker/Shelter prep Help On Saturday 4/13

Welcome to Sky Soaring Forums Restricted content Driveway/ runway marker/Shelter prep Help On Saturday 4/13

• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi all,

We have just gotten board approval to do some much needed work to fix the driveway and runway markers!

We will be having a large load of gravel delivered to the field and we need as many able bodied helpers as possible to move it to all the right places.

We’ll try to do it this Saturday if enough help is available.  If not, we may have to move it to a later date. So if you’re able to come out and help shovel rocks for a while, post below!

Also, YOUNG GUYS, please come out and help take care of this for the more “experienced” club members!

Thanks!

Also

Erik SchnaubeltErik Schnaubelt
        Participant

I’ll be there! What time were you thinking?

Anonymous

I haven’t scheduled the delivery yet, but I’m going to aim for 10. Once it
              looks like we’ll have a couple people to help, I’m going to contact the
              gravel company and set the time.

Also we have a trailer and several of shovels at the field. We could
              however also really use a wheelbarrow if someone has one they can bring and
              a vehicle that can pull the trailer. (something tells me my little civic
              isn’t going to do the trick)

Anonymous

The limestone is ordered and all 8 tons will be delivered tomorrow morning
                (the 13th) at 10 AM. Come out and help shovel if you’re able!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:41 PM Logan Thomas <logan.a.thomas@gmail.com>
                wrote:

> I haven’t scheduled the delivery yet, but I’m going to aim for 10. Once it
                > looks like we’ll have a couple people to help, I’m going to contact the
                > gravel company and set the time.
                >
                > Also we have a trailer and several of shovels at the field. We could
                > however also really use a wheelbarrow if someone has one they can bring and
                > a vehicle that can pull the trailer. (something tells me my little civic
                > isn’t going to do the trick)
                >
                > On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Sky Soaring
                > wrote:
                >
                >

Anonymous

Huge thank you to everyone who came out and helped with this today!! It
                  made everything go much smoother and the results look great!

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                Participant

Good luck, hope you ordered the right kind of gravel.
                  I was blasted last Spring for getting the wrong type of gravel pea-size, so
                  only the East markers got attention, I never finished the West markers.
                  Some of the long-term members may want the RW marker gravelstone also
                  painted white, later on.

John PhelanJohn Phelan
                    Participant

Back in the day when I did this, we started with a good dosing of RoundUp or Triox to kill everything in sight, then laid down a couple of inches of crushed limestone (use a coarse crush, not the pulverized stuff). Then ran the roller over it to make sure it didn’t move. If we got weeds mid-summer, we burned then with a torch. Don’t use gasoline to burn them. That will blacken the rock when it burns. Use a propane torch or another blast of RoundUp or Triox.

Make sure the rock is low enough that the mowers can go over it without damaging the cutting blades.

I can understand the pea gravel issue. Propwash (and the mowers) will fling pea gravel all over the place, including at the tail of the plane and the glider on tow.

Stay safe out there.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Laurentiu NicolaeLaurentiu Nicolae
                    Participant

Hi guys,

I will show up Saturday to help out.

Lawrence

Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
                      Participant

Hello just make sure every time I respond via email you get my messages too…:-) I will there on Saturday too

Anonymous

I was just talking with a coworker. His son’s scout troop is looking for
                          some volunteer work to do. He was interested in running the idea of
                          helping with this (and possibly other projects in the future) by the
                          troop. Might be a great way to get some extra help with some of the
                          bigger jobs, and good way for some of those scouts to get exposure to and
                          maybe develop an interest in flying.

Any thoughts?

Art SilvermanArt Silverman
                            Participant

The help would be greatly appreciated.  Try to arrange it!

—–Original Message—–
                              To: Arthurttu

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                              Participant

Sounds like a good idea. Scouts exposed to soaring can’t be all bad.

John Lincoln

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                                  Keymaster
                                    There may be insurance issues with non-members being involved in operations. 

Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
                                Participant

As long as they have supervision they should be ok. We can also offer a free flight to the one you feel works the hardest.  Next step would be to offer to help with the aviation merit badge.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.