15 -19 August

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Steven SnyderSteven Snyder
      Participant

Monday does not look good. Tuesday-Thursday much better. Some lift, light winds should make for decent soaring.

Steve

Participant

Tuesday looks like a nice day. We have a tow pilot. any interest?

Wednesday I won’t be able to attend.

Steve

Participant

Tuesday forecast looks even better than expected. Let’s do this!

Don GrilloDon Grillo
            Keymaster

I’ll be out to assemble and fly today. Glad we have a tow pilot.

— Don
              John DeRosaJohn DeRosa
              Participant

Skysight.io reports lift today to 6-7kft MSL with lift in the 300fpm range with CUs.

You should soar today!

– John “Lift” DeRosa

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                Participant

I’d love to fly today, but I have other appointments. I hope all who do fly have a great time. John Lincoln

Don GrilloDon Grillo
                  Keymaster

Was hoping to get out today but other chores got in the way. Have fun and safe soaring.

— Don
                    Participant

Wednesday I will be out. Looking like another nice day.

Steve

Participant

Tuesday recap. A surprise visit from a long time member (and his beautiful Cub) Charlie Kalvoda stopped in for a chat. Great to see Charlie and hopefully he will be around more next year.

11 flights today. Greg P flew a friend, JimBob flew a friend, Andy kept the Pumpkin up for 45 mins, Laurence also 45 mins in PW-5, I managed 56 mins in 1-26 (tried to fly the Racetrack but just not bold enough to press on the Walpole. Griffin flew Pumpkin for 34 mins. Was that your longest glider flight so far? Petr felt his 1:05 wasn’t enough so his second flight was 2:42. Mark climbed out of the Pawnee long enough to fly PW-5 for 1:28. Thanks to Mark and John S for the tows today.

Steve

Participant

But wait, there’s more.

I will be out Wednesday if any students are available. If not, I’ll find something to fly. I believe we have a towpilot lined up. Weather looks nice. Light winds and lift up to 6k but only for an hour or two.

Thursday also looks good.

Steve

Participant

Tuesday recap. A surprise visit from a long time member (and his beautiful Cub) Charlie Kalvoda stopped in for a chat. Great to see Charlie and hopefully he will be around more next year.

11 flights today. Greg P flew a friend, JimBob flew a friend, Andy kept the Pumpkin up for 45 mins, Laurence also 45 mins in PW-5, I managed 56 mins in 1-26 (tried to fly the Racetrack but just not bold enough to press on the Walpole. Griffin flew Pumpkin for 34 mins. Was that your longest glider flight so far? Petr felt his 1:05 wasn’t enough so his second flight was 2:42. Mark climbed out of the Pawnee long enough to fly PW-5 for 1:28. Thanks to Mark and John S for the tows today.

Steve

Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2022 6:56 PM
                            To: Smsrsnyder@comcast.net
                            Subject: Reply To: 15 -19 August; By Steven Snyder, [Sky Soaring]

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                            Participant

I’d like to try to be at Field for Thursday  ( if a Tow pilot might be available), so I put it on BOP

Gary PalumboGary Palumbo
                              Participant

I can fly Thursday Gary P

Participant

Dennis and anyone else. We have a tow pilot tomorrow so sign up now.Today only 3 flights but both Greg and I managed good flights in the 1-26.

Thanks Gary for towing.

Steve Snyder. Sent from my mobile

Participant

Looks like I’m grounded today. Something in my eye that I can’t flush out. Maybe later.

Steve Snyder. Sent from my mobile

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                    Participant

I’ll be out a bit later 12:30 to 1. John Lincoln

John PhelanJohn Phelan
                                      Participant

Chewing gum as a swab works well.  Cinnamon flavor not recommended.

Best Regards,

John F. Phelan

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2022 9:09
                                        To: phelanjf@gmail.com
                                        Subject: Reply To: 15 -19 August; By Steven Snyder, [Sky Soaring]

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                        Participant

We had 6 flights today. Thanks to Gary for towing. Petr had 3 flights for a total of 2:16. Dennis Burke and Greg Tomczyk also flew. It wasn’t nearly as good as it looked. The Sky Sight forecast was for 3.3 knots of lift to 4400 agl. My average for the day was 1.2 knots. I did have some lift in the 2.2 knot range and one that got to 4.1, but in general it was weak. Cloud base started at 4000 agl and went down to 3400 by the end of the day. There was a very definite band to stay in earlier in the day. 3500 to 4000 agl was the place to be. Get below that and it took a long time to find a thermal that would lift you back up. Later in the day as cloud base lowered the workable band just seemed to disappear and I worked lift when I found it.  All that said I still enjoyed getting to fly. It’s been a while for me as I’ve been helping Val with her recovery from total knee replacement surgery. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. John Lincoln

Dennis BurkeDennis Burke
                                          Participant
                                            I certainly had trouble finding & keeping lift on Thurs, even tho 4 of us waited for CU formation from 10:30am till 12:30. Thought it was forming enuf at 1:45 pm,… nope. But Petr and JL were much more successful! If that good band was starting at 4k msl (3K agl), I failed to grab right away. At the Same time Petr got 1:40 , so he grabbed it, in the right direction! Wonder which direction JL and PF headed out on. My SW direction into wind fell apart, head 180deg back to the NE helped a little. 
                                            Tim PonsotTim Ponsot
                                            Participant

Can give instruction today if we have a tow pilot

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                              Participant

Dennis, Since you asked I didn’t go very far. 12 miles NW and 10 miles WSW. The Cu’s weren’t reliable enough for me to want to venture beyond that. The first time I fell out of the band I covered 7 miles before I found a workable thermal 4K AGL to 2.4K. When I did find a thermal I noticed that all the Cu’s I had flown under had all vanished. The wind was from the SW but I had trouble heading toward DeKalb so shied away from that direction. See you tomorrow. John Lincoln

Petr FolwarcznyPetr Folwarczny
                                                Participant
                                                  I agree with John. The sky looks so promising I even took my Oudie and was ready for (some short) cross country flight. After finish my first flight in 30 minutes I immediately too another one (1 hour 40 minutes). I was able to get 5200 msl above Sky soaring but only 4400 about half way between Sky soaring and Belvidere. Didn’t have enough of courage go more north because sky covering of clouds was 8/8. Once you dropped below 3000 I was happy to thermal in 0.5 knots to stay up. Maybe my mistake when traveling from Cumulus to another one was that I picked one when the clouds were already dying… still a lot of stuff to learn
                                                  ANDRZEJ CHICEWICZANDRZEJ CHICEWICZ
                                                  Participant

My experience that day. I used a plastic chair for flying, the first thermo was taken me to the refrigerator in the hangar, but we all know that the water does not give a good thermo so I changed the course of 320 degrees, and found a strong 3 waves in the second room refrigerator

the first was modelo, second pilsner, and budwiser, I chose a modelo
                                                    in this thermo I stayed about 1 hour.

after an hour i start experience sink so it’s time to go home
                                                    the way home I took route 20, I flew 30 km follow this road to my Wood Dale landing strip.touch down was 2 cm before threshold( front of the garage wall)
                                                    it was perfect soaring day.

On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 06:48:32 PM CDT, SSI <webmaster@skysoaring.com> wrote:

John LincolnJohn Lincoln
                                                    Participant

And the final word. Andy found THREE strong thermals right near the airport and had the pleasure of a long and continuous CLOUD STREET all the way to his declared final landing location. It was a perfect day!!! John Lincoln

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.